Fuel?

1 hour ago, ferny said:

Last night the queues around here were awful. I filled the Herald up this morning readyvfor the weekend - ten minute queue and standard price of 132.9p.

I managed to get a tank full last night after queuing for about an hour. Not sure about getting back Sunday night. Might well be Monday! 😆

Yes it is starting to ease. I filled up my modern this morning which I need to drive on a 200 mile round trip to get to meet up with my crew and the RBRR car, it's nearly that far to the start anyway so even if there was somewhere to leave it at Knebworth it wouldn't save many miles and I'd still have needed diesel. I got up early and went out before 7am, the petrol station I stopped at only had a 5 car queue off the roundabout to get to the forecourt, cheap diesel and E10 available , no V power E5 or V power diesel but fuel available nevertheless .And at £1.37 for shell diesel not above normal prices. I did pass 3 other fuel stations on the way there though that had no fuel at all. By the weekend I think we'll be OK but the Northern Scotland and Welsh bit may need a Gerry can filled at Skiach/Gedrid as an insurance policy.

40 minutes ago, cook1e said:

Yes it is starting to ease. 

just because it's starting to ease in your area doesn't mean it's easing everywhere. My local Tesco and BP garages haven't had fuel since Saturday and I had to resort to borrowing a van from work last night just to get home. 

Things still look very grim in my area (Leigh On Sea, Essex) and at present my co driver from Derby cannot even guarantee getting to my place or the start. Things really need to get better by Friday.

When I’ve filled up the modern I’ve noticed that there’s not much E5 being topped up, they seem to be concentrating on the  E10 and with this in mind I think it’s inevitable that we’re all going to end up putting some E10 in the cars wether we want to or not. So as a possible solution if your worried about that sort of thing I noticed the valvemaster I brought at the drivers briefing claims to enable it to be used in our cars

Classic Valvemaster and Classic Valvemaster Plus contain Etha-Guard, an ethanol stabiliser to combat the harmful effects of ethanol. Etha-Guard prevents acidity and corrosion to enable classic vehicles safe use of E5 and E10 ethanol blended petrol. Classic Valvemaster Plus also contains Octimise Plus, a friction modifier providing increased acceleration and economy”

It was Tina’s post about the club shop being at the start that reminded me to mention it as they’ll be selling some there.

2 hours ago, Radders said:

just because it's starting to ease in your area doesn't mean it's easing everywhere. My local Tesco and BP garages haven't had fuel since Saturday and I had to resort to borrowing a van from work last night just to get home. 

Things still look very grim in my area (Leigh On Sea, Essex) and at present my co driver from Derby cannot even guarantee getting to my place or the start. Things really need to get better by Friday.

I think it is closer to big cities the worse the situation currently is.

Particularly London where most people use public transport so there is fewer fuel stations, and people tend to keep less fuel in their cars just using them at weekends etc.

So they are sucking a disproportionate amount of the supplies into their usually empty cars. 

• Like 1

I got Shell V-max yesterday in the wilds of Shropshire, only a 3 car queue for a pump and no limit on amount. The price had me a bit drop jawed though, at £1.54/litre!

I will at least make it to the start line - if I can find another driver, my 3rd team driver has had to drop out due to a work injury. Will give it a go 2 up if we must but would prefer 3!

Steve

I looked for 10l jerrycans or 5l plastic fuel containers today at Toolstation, Screwfix, Halfords and a.n.other but they were all out of stock. Seems people are not just filling their vehicle tanks but also whatever extra containers they can buy!

Edited by mole42

On 28/09/2021 at 16:17, McJim said:

Crisis What Crisis - Supertramp 1975.

No change here then.

There's always some problem every other year.

Closed roads, major motorway roadworks, lack of hot air for the doom mongers - it's all the same and part of the adventure.

If you were guaranteed to make it round, would that make the RBRR more attractive?  Don't think so.

It's all the problems that arise and are surmounted that make the stories and the legends of the Round Britain.

The personal satisfaction of crossing the finish line at Knebworth after all the difficulties that you have encountered and overcome is a sweet reward.

No fuel at your regular petrol station?

That's nothing, because this weekend, by hook or by crook, I'm driving down from Scotland and then round Britain with a bunch of never say die petrol heads.

Never give up.

Jim.

crisis.jpg

Brilliant Mr Jim... 

Just to give you an idea of what I'm up against, the screen shot is from the Waze app. The red at the top of the boxes means there is NO fuel. Orange means they are running low. Green means they have some, but the one green box on here states that it was last updated 421 days ago. And I know for a fact that the garage has been closed for over a year. Here's hoping I can get some before Friday. 

Screenshot_20210929-213155_Waze.jpg

6 hours ago, Radders said:

Just to give you an idea of what I'm up against, the screen shot is from the Waze app. The red at the top of the boxes means there is NO fuel. Orange means they are running low. Green means they have some, but the one green box on here states that it was last updated 421 days ago. And I know for a fact that the garage has been closed for over a year. Here's hoping I can get some before Friday. 

Steve, I’m probably wrong but I thought the colour coding was for the price, red high/green low and not related to availability.

32 minutes ago, FloydP said:

Steve, I’m probably wrong but I thought the colour coding was for the price, red high/green low and not related to availability.

Floyd is right. The colour denotes price, high red, low green. 
If fuel is unavailable then there should be no price, but this is dependent on Waze users updating this, etc.

2 hours ago, PaulB said:

Floyd is right. The colour denotes price, high red, low green. 
If fuel is unavailable then there should be no price, but this is dependent on Waze users updating this, etc.

Ok noted, I was told it was availability. However, it makes no difference because there is still no fuel available around here at all and my co-driver in Derby is in the same boat. So at present, neither of us can even get to the start, let alone set out on the run. 

My car has under quarter tank and unless things change dramatically over the 24 hours we are out of the event.  

Edited by Radders

1 minute ago, Radders said:

Ok noted, I was told it was availability. However, it makes no difference because there is still no fuel available around here at all and my co-driver in Derby is in the same boat. So at present, neither of us can even get to the start, let alone set out on the run. 

My car has under quarter tank and unless things need change dramatically over the 24 hours we are out of the event.  

It’s not on your doorstep but I did here South Woodham Ferrers Sainsburys had some and Mayland just had a tanker in, they’re limiting it to £40 which means I can pick up my co driver and get to the start, then hopefully find something near Knebworth.

13 hours ago, Radders said:

I went to Tesco at Langdon Hills. Basildon last night 11.00 They are open all through the night because they shut during the day so people can get into store. 

There was me and two other cars. They have E5. 

Danny

I've successfully arrived at the Novotel in Knebworth. E5 fuel was available at some garages on the way down from Cheshire. 

But in Stevenage all fuel stations I tried were completely out of all fuel of all types. The single exception was the Tescos opposite the railway station but that only had E10.

I will be out on the hunt for E5 in the morning as currently only have half a tank full in the car.