RBRR 21 Message Diary

18 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Here's my 6-foot-4 co-driver finding a way to sleep in a Spitfire, at Falls of Shin near Lairg.

We weren't sleeping at Falls Of Shin - we were fixing the "vague steering". All four of the brake caliper mount / steering arm attachment bolts on both sides had worked loose somehow.  HUGE thanks to all the far better prepared teams who lent us tools and expertise on removing the pesky grease caps. It saved our run - turned what might have ended up as my first ever failure into what my brother declared to be the best RBRR he's ever done.

• Like 1

Another great RBRR.

Made some new friends and  caught up with some old ones.

Apart from the drivers door catch breaking on the way to the start, which was an easy fix, we suffered no problems on the actual event. Didn’t even need to add oil which is probably a first!

My son, his first time, loved the event.

I would like to say a HUGE THANK YOU to the organising team and all the marshals who volunteered to make this event possible.  I really appreciate all the hours they put in to make this event happen and some of the unsociable hours Marshals have to put up with.  

THANK YOU ALL. 🙌🙌🙌

• Like 3

@Craig Gingell I think we need to find a way to elevate usage of our new, fast website for events like the RBRR.

I will be working on how to get live marshals info on here probably via Google docs published extracts (like the entry list) se we can all see what's happening as it happens - it's really tricky when you're on the run, driving, navigating, sleeping are the priorities! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jason said:

@Craig Gingell I think we need to find a way to elevate usage of our new, fast website for events like the RBRR.

I will be working on how to get live marshals info on here probably via Google docs published extracts (like the entry list) se we can all see what's happening as it happens - it's really tricky when you're on the run, driving, navigating, sleeping are the priorities! 

Jason, I've been having some thoughts on how to make the event more of an online event for club members not taking part... I have some ideas I think might be workable if you are interested? Feel free to PM me?

• Like 1

I'm interested - the proviso is that it has to be minimal extra effort for the organisers who's primary purpose is to get the real life event completed.  think there's lots of activity that goes on in little corners of the digital world that could, with a little redirection of effort, be seen by a wider audience.

What do you have in mind?

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm interested - the proviso is that it has to be minimal extra effort for the organisers who's primary purpose is to get the real life event completed.  think there's lots of activity that goes on in little corners of the digital world that could, with a little redirection of effort, be seen by a wider audience.

What do you have in mind?

QR codes. One on the road book (can be a sticker printed and applied by the entrant) and one at the control point. 

Knock up a simple app with two levels - marshal and entrant. When one is scanned, it logs that the entrant was there. Set up teams and multiple people can scan from different phones to log the team. Put the onus on the team to scan to allow family to monitor them. The marshal can scan at their/clubs discretion. 

This can feed into a live (but randomly delayed) page for the public to show where (but not when) logged in. 

I'm always interested in how friends ate doing, but don't always get the see them and don't want to disturb them over the weekend. This would provide that info.

4 hours ago, ferny said:

QR codes.

Slightly drifting from the message diary / being more online...  It did occur to me that in this day and age a QR code for the event's JustGiving page could be included on the stickers. Members of the public who ask about the event and want to donate could then scan the sticker. It would work even better if the cars each had a unique QR for that team's JG page but it would be a huge headache to organise that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/10/2021 at 22:15, RobPearce said:

Slightly drifting from the message diary / being more online...  It did occur to me that in this day and age a QR code for the event's JustGiving page could be included on the stickers. Members of the public who ask about the event and want to donate could then scan the sticker. It would work even better if the cars each had a unique QR for that team's JG page but it would be a huge headache to organise that.

A good idea we will try and incorporate next time.

Is the cheaper solution to print the overall just giving page QR code on the stickers? 

Or just provide each team with a QR code on a sheet of paper, and put an arrow on the stickers pointing at the sheet of paper, which could be stuck in the car window.

You could also print an individual "redirector" URL QR code on each set of team stickers, basically a numbered Set of stickers which is then pointing onto the teams JG page.

• 1 year later...

I will not be taking part this years RBRR as I do not believe I could  raise enough for the charity. So I would not want to take the place of someone who could. At the moment the whole family and my friends are trying to raise  money for a small charity due to something that has affected my niece and I cannot bring myself to ask for more support when many are struggling financially. 

I wish all entrants a safe and enjoyable run and hope the fundraising for the Huntington's charity goes well.

Danny

• Like 2

• admin unpinned this topic