Coolant draining required?

Baxter

My thermostat (in a Vitesse 6) appears to have packed up. WSM indicates draining the coolant before opening the housing to replace. As I only just flushed my system and refilled, can I get away with a quick opening of the housing, thermostat swap, new gasket and a bit of spillage; or would this introduce unshiftable air bubbles or other issues?

That sounds a bit cheap now I've written it, but it seemed sensible to avoid unnecessary effort and coolant usage!

have you got the remote headtank on your Vit6? If so and its higher than the thermostat housing plus pretty full there could be quite a bit of spillage. If not have a look in the rad cap and compare the level in there with housing...

Any air will just be pushed the rad/headtank and the level need topping up a little next time its cooled.

• Thanks 1

Great to hear - thanks yorkshire, Ben and glang for your quick help with this.

I do have the separate header tank, but there's little in there at the moment. And I don't mind a fair bit of spillage as my evening suddenly looks better and doesn't involve shopping for more antifreeze and water 🙂

On 30/09/2021 at 16:33, Baxter said:

Great to hear - thanks yorkshire, Ben and glang for your quick help with this.

I do have the separate header tank, but there's little in there at the moment. And I don't mind a fair bit of spillage as my evening suddenly looks better and doesn't involve shopping for more antifreeze and water 🙂

Too late no doubt but you could drain a little from the tap on the side of the block, into a clean jar, then tip it back in again when finished. That's what I did on the Spitfire when messing about with the hoses - just needed to let a jar-full out and then had no spillage.