Overdrive wanted

Howard

Is he looking to convert a non-OD car to overdrive, or replace an existing OD unit? 

You might be able to buy an OD unit outright from Mike Papworth, Overdrive Spares, or Overdrive Repairs. However when I was looking a few years ago, everyone wanted an old OD unit in exchange. 

If I were doing a conversion again, I'd keep an eye on eBay for a reasonable priced gearbox + OD. Then I'd send the OD off to Overdrive Spares in exchange for a recon one, which costs about £400.

Meanwhile I'd strip both gearboxes and reassemble a single box with the best bits, and all the overdrive necessaries.

When I did my conversion I bought stuff separately (gearbox mainshaft, adaptor plate, OD unit, wiring, etc). It ended up costing a fortune, and the 2nd hand OD I'd been hoarding for years turned out to be buggered! 

If just an OD required, I may have a lead. A local chap is good with gearboxes etc, and has a few that have been stripped/checked/fixed etc and ready to use. No OD gearboxes though. 

Saying that..... he seems to acquire stuff fairly regularly. Or cpuld convert a non od box to OD (though would need a new mainshaft etc as a minimum)

11 minutes ago, Howard said:

Thanks Clive

Just the overdrive needed - no requirement for a gearbox.

I will speak with him tomorrow at our local meeting. I think he has a J type, but it may be in a saloon type case. 

Is there a knackered one that needs replacing? Apparently the internals can be swapped easily.