27th RBRR 2021: Finisher Statistics

RBRR STATS:

176 Teams entered the event, 113 started, 14 retired, 99 finished.

We have never experienced so many withdrawals before the event, covid and the recent fuel supply issue must have contributed, but still massively disappointing. 5 crews did not event bother to contact us before the event to say that they would not start.

DNFs ranged from electrical to drivetrain. Sadly one car had a minor crash, crew were fine and we understand the car will be rebuilt.

2 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

5 crews did not event bother to contact us before the event to say that they would not start.

That's really really not on! Everyone hits last minute problems and sometimes the outside world throws a spanner in the works at the last minute, but it only takes one of the crew 5 minutes (or less!) to let the organisers know!

Good to know that the crew who suffered the accident are ok!

• Like 1

Tim, I know that some things can be so disheartening but, and I think most will agree, this was one of the best and most eagerly awaited RBRR in many years.

The slightly shorter mileage made it less stressful, the fuel situation meant there were fewer cars on the road and we could enjoy our Triumphs more, Nigel's route was terrific, the bit south of Tongue was truly breathtaking.

Tim, I think after all these years, you've finally cracked it.

Don't get hung up on no shows - we don't know their reasons.  This was a massively enjoyed RBRR.

The party in the Premier Inn went on for ages.

Everyone was happy and no complaints at all.

I've never enjoyed a motoring event so much in all my motorsporting life.

Last weekend was a winning formula.  Please don't change it too much.

Jim.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, McJim said:

I've never enjoyed a motoring event so much in all my motorsporting life.

Last weekend was a winning formula.  Please don't change it too much.

Jim.

Praise indeed but I can't help but agree!  Well done everyone involved from organisers to marshals and all the other helpers that make it happen. 

In recent times, many organisations have given up and cancelled things and run away to hide.  It just shows, if you hold your nerve, accept some risk and uncertainty in life,  the end result can be pretty damn good!

• Like 3

I would say a truly well organised event, and hats off to Tim and all the organisers. You couldn't have done better! A great drive. I think the stats in all were pretty good considering the situations both with Covid and fuel and all the uncertainty that went with it.

We retired unfortunately with a few issues with the car, none of which plagued us in 2018. We lost O/D which was not the end of the world, but was putting us behind, then 3rd gear, then carburettors playing up which we put right twice, then wipers.  

I'd also say a big shout out for the guy at the Sea View hotel! He showed real commitment to the cause, and I think he deserves a few nice Google reviews on his site!

Kevin

• Like 4

Horace,

This event came pretty close to being cancelled on Tueday night, but we decided to take a bullish view and run the RBRR. So very glad that we did. Two crews withdrew because of it on Friday. 

Our view was that everyone taking part has common sense and intelligence, so it proved.

Must admit I did not sleep that well from Saturday 25th Sept, when the first reports of fuel issues started. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Kevin,

I have just emailed Andrew at Seaview to thank him, as ever, fantastic work by him and his team. We keep arriving early and he never seems fazed.

As a matter of fact, it did at one point look like we could run the RBRR last year, I had a detailed conversation with him about covid, he could not have been more keen to help us, a teriffic attitude. I am very impressed.

Seaview Hotel and Lands End Hotel are the two longest standing RBRR stops (not surprisingly) and did us proud this year.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Horace,

This event came pretty close to being cancelled on Tueday night, but we decided to take a bullish view and run the RBRR. So very glad that we did. Two crews withdrew because of it on Friday. 

Our view was that everyone taking part has common sense and intelligence, so it proved.

Must admit I did not sleep that well from Saturday 25th Sept, when the first reports of fuel issues started. 

I had a new untested car without a working fuel gauge and a totally unknown fuel consumption (possibly below 18mpg) so taking it out during a fuel shortage was crazy. However life is to short to not take the chance and am very glad we did! The 20L Jerry can made sure we could get to somewhere to park up if the we ran out of fuel far from home, but the only time I used it was to top up McJim on the M3.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening, Interesting stats . . . . 

Just a thought, given all the chat elsewhere about the possible lack of prep by first timers and the concern expressed by some 'old timers' about helping people fix problems that maybe should have been prevented by 'better' prep or more car tech knowledge/ or spanner skills,  is it possible to break down the info to identify how many first timers there were and how many of the tech  DNFs were first timers?  And how many were 'old hands'? Do you have info on the causes of the DNFs?

I have never participated in this fantastic event and have nothing but admiration for those who take it on in the first place let alone for those who complete it.