Funding the habit...

Ben Hutchings

I needed some new tyres for the GT6, and at the moment I don't have a couple hundred layout about that's not already earmarked. So I decided to sell some of my precious Drum and Bass vinyl from mid-late 90's 🕴
It turns out that converting one hobby's assets into another is quite a good feeling, and also seems acceptable to my very tolerant and understanding wife 😅

This got me thinking: When I bought my GT6, the previous owner was selling it to fund some Double Glazing. I still think of that each time I wonder if I can afford to keep it. Too depressing.  So... I wondered, what have you lot decided to sell in order to keep a Triumph on the road, or fund some upgrades etc? 

Many years ago we had a very expensive quote to do the car park at work (thanks Tim), and based on that we took a short term mortgage out to fund it. When it came to it we went with another company to do the car park at much less than half the price, the remainder of the money (profit?) part funded bringing a LeMans Spitfire back from the USA.

MInd I always thought the company that ended up doing the car park underquoted as they went bust not long afterwards. Pity as they did a cracking job. 

Edited by Slimboyfat
  • Like 2

Years ago I had a 110 County SW 300TDI Land Rover sitting in the drive slowly rotting away. My pride and joy, but I couldn't afford to use it for my daily commute.

The decision was taken to sell the Landy and get a "fun car", MGs, Triumphs, Mazdas and others were considered. The first car to come up at a decent price that would be considered a "usable project" was a Spitfire. Still got it. 

Family savings were used to expand and acquire the Dolomite based on the "business case" "it's an automatic so we can both drive it and there's room for the kids to join in on club events"

Anything beyond basic maintenance costs is funded by things like work bonus payments (the fast-road spec. engine for the Spitfire was funded by the 2019 bonus)

I've thought about selling some of my arcade machine kit to fund car stuff and vice-versa but never done it.

• Like 1

That’s interesting Ben because I have to have some body work done to my Sprint at some point in the not too distant future. The spiralling cost of living and two daughters, both in their late teens, make sure that I am resoundingly skint at all times! 

I have been wondering whether I should tackle it myself, or pay a pro. The big question really though is how to fund it? 

I have a collection of vinyl up in the loft from the mid eighties to mid nineties. The birth of house, and then techno, jungle , dnb and everything in between. White labels and 1st pressings etc which would pay for the work on the car I’m sure, but can I sell them after all of these years?🤔

I only have one deck these days, but do enjoy dusting a choon off occasionally. Selling them, or some of them, is realistically the only way I can lay my hands on the funds required. But can I do it!? 🤔

How did you sell yours, Discogs or similar? 

4 minutes ago, Bish said:

But can I do it!? 🤔

How did you sell yours, Discogs or similar?

A few years ago I started to put my collection on Discogs, and once you do that you’ve always got some idea of worth. Sure it takes time and grading is fairly subjective but if your stuff hasn’t been heavily rotated or DJ’d you’re in a good starting place.

Initially I didn’t want to sell any, but last week I reached a “do I want to be able to drive my GT6, or do I want to have these 5 pieces of vinyl on my shelf that I listen to once a decade”. So I picked some things that had £20-50 type worth and tentatively listed some for sale. They were snapped up within 2 days. I tended to under-grade slightly because I didn’t want any buyer grief and also enabled ‘accept offers’. Pretty sure my buyers got Nearly Mint stuff for Very Good+ prices! 

But that’s enough for now… I don’t want to part with anything else for a while 😅 especially seeing that while cleaning the ones I sold I listened to them and others and fell in love again 🕴🏼

12 hours ago, Ben Hutchings said:

A few years ago I started to put my collection on Discogs, and once you do that you’ve always got some idea of worth. Sure it takes time and grading is fairly subjective but if your stuff hasn’t been heavily rotated or DJ’d you’re in a good starting place.

Initially I didn’t want to sell any, but last week I reached a “do I want to be able to drive my GT6, or do I want to have these 5 pieces of vinyl on my shelf that I listen to once a decade”. So I picked some things that had £20-50 type worth and tentatively listed some for sale. They were snapped up within 2 days. I tended to under-grade slightly because I didn’t want any buyer grief and also enabled ‘accept offers’. Pretty sure my buyers got Nearly Mint stuff for Very Good+ prices! 

But that’s enough for now… I don’t want to part with anything else for a while 😅 especially seeing that while cleaning the ones I sold I listened to them and others and fell in love again 🕴🏼

But record them all first before you sell. I invested in a decent needle specifically for this to get as good a quality as possible.

Not that im selling mine.