Manual Tyre Changers

Ben Hutchings

I have some new Falkens to put on some 13 x 5.5 alloys. The existing crusty Uniroyals need removing. I want to spend some time cleaning up the beads etc, so taking them to a tyre fitter twice is a bit of a pain, plus I hear they now want £20 a corner?!?.

Has anyone had much success with one of those manual /DIY tyre tools and bead breakers? If so is it easy to do? Does the tool need bolting to the floor? Will I trash my ageing rims? 😅

I have a diy changer because I'm a skinflint (I said it so you don’t have to)

Yes, they do need to be bolted to the floor. On mine I also had to modify the bead breaker as there was no chance of it working as supplied.

Fine for scruffy steels, but really quite hard not to leave marks on nice wheels. Also there is something about the 5” steels that makes fitting really hard….. I failed and took it to my local guy who struggled even with the proper gear. Something to do with the position or depth of the well he said….

Tyre disposal is a royal pain…… I have a substantial heap…..

Nick

• Thanks 1

Ok I think that's enough convincing, I don't really have any slab to bolt it to, and I don't want to mash these tender ancient alloys! 

I'll look around. Last time I had a tyre swap was in Potters Bar for £20 for the lot! Times have changed 😖

21 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

I'm a skinflint

I guess I am, but I want to spend what little I have efficiently. Hate the thought of wasting hard-earned when not necessary. Which might be the definition of 'skinflint' 🤷🏻‍♂️

Use a back street place, take the old tyres with you.

I am allowed 2 tyres a month at the local tip. So is Gill.....

But I too have a battered changer.

Recently made a changing bar that does not damage the slots. Copied z design on ebay (chap sells them for about £60 I think. I had most of the stuff, just had to buy a bit of HDPE sheet. )

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Use a back street place, take the old tyres with you.

I am allowed 2 tyres a month at the local tip. So is Gill.....

But I too have a battered changer.

Recently made a changing bar that does not damage the slots. Copied z design on ebay (chap sells them for about £60 I think. I had most of the stuff, just had to buy a bit of HDPE sheet. )

I think you are lucky - most recycling centres won't take them now.  However, farmers use old tyres to weigh down silage clamps ... I managed to lose 8 tyres only this morning.

What is the Z design Clive?  Any photos of your changer please?  I only pay £10 per corner locally but even that stings a bit.

Thanks, Mark

Just been quoted £20 a corner again from a tiny place just up the road. I was hoping to find some lad there who'd do it for beers or cheap but no they have a swanky reception area and receptionist so no chance 😅

There are downsides to living in Cheltenham, and one of them is that everything is a little £+. I need a t-shirt that says "I'm from the country and rent off my in-laws, please charge accordingly" 

Those Tyre Changers are looking more attractive again, but I'll try and find a mobile fitter as you suggest @Nick Jones

1 hour ago, MarkDeTriomphe said:

I think you are lucky - most recycling centres won't take them now.  However, farmers use old tyres to weigh down silage clamps ... I managed to lose 8 tyres only this morning.

What is the Z design Clive?  Any photos of your changer please?  I only pay £10 per corner locally but even that stings a bit.

Thanks, Mark

Fat fingers. Z=a

On hols in the sun  back in a week.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheelmate-Manual-Tyre-Changer-Lever-Bar-Alloy-Steel-Wheels-Car-Van-Motorcycle-/234221595639?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited by Clive

7 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Tyre disposal is a royal pain…… I have a substantial heap…..

Nick

There are ways round this, I had about 50 to get rid of.

Max 4 per month at the local dump, well recycling centre, where everything goes in a hole in the ground.

The policing is done by registration numbers, so take different cars, try to wear a different coat or hat.

Then I took to sending the wife, 8 at a time.

They would intercept her and say " you know you are only allowed 4 a month, try to remember that next time, would you like a hand unloading them"

All gone in a couple of weeks. 🙂

I bought a walk around tyre changer several years ago, was quoted £10 per wheel just to remove and dispose of the tyre. Had over 20 tyres to remove, all triumph steel wheels. 

I have 4 raw bolts in the concrete outside the workshop, just bolt the changer to the floor when needed. 

I reinforced the bead breaker part as lots of the old tyres had welded themselves to the rims.

Since then I have swapped tyres around numerous times, and changed out perished valves on my trailer all old steal wheels

I did split a brand new tyre bead, which meant bining it, that peed me off, so bought two tubs of propper tyre soap which make things easier.

There's a deffinate process and technique getting the tyre bead in the correct part of the wheel well otherwise you will ruin the tyre or wheel trying to stretch the bead over the rim. I almost gave up several times.

It's a pretty physical workout. The tyre changer I bought came with a long steel tyre leaver, which is pretty brutal, which I used on steel wheels.

I have since bought a bar designed for alloy wheels (not cheap) which I used on my Vitesse alloys as I found all the valves were perished. Needed lots of padding and protection to the rim, getting one half of the tyre bead removed to get to the valves.

If you do change your own tyres you you still may need to get them balanced which can be expensive, which is usually thrown in at a tyre shop. 

I did buy a diy balancer, and weights, but need to experiment with that.

In my case, I had loads of tyres to remove from old steel wheels,  so definately saved me money, and has been handy for replacing valves, and the odd tyre, but that was after lots of practice and failures.

If I bought a new set of wheels and tyres I would get them professionally fitted and balanced, as unless your very careful and had lots of practice, it's very easy to damage a tyre or rim in my experience.

• Thanks 1

Here you're allowed 4 tyres per year at the tip. I doubt anyone is writing your details down and following you though...

Luckily, I get mine done at work if my friend is able to do it in his lunch. In fact, he saved my RBRR by sticking the fronts on the balance machine one evening as a favour. 

It used to be £13 a wheel locally, 10 years ago...

Edited by ferny

Just in case it's useful for anyone else.

I bought a sealey manual tyre changer years ago (similar to this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383454387421). Works great once you get the knack (get some tyre soap, push the bead as far into the wheel centre as possible). Requires bolted to the garage floor using something like this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361398824822) . Unbolt and  fill the holes using countersunk bolts when not in use (similar to https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111284266897).  Definitely requires a lever/bar upgrade for alloy (and even steel) wheels. I use something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384121088593.

Andy

On 12/10/2021 at 17:06, thescrapman said:

There are ways round this, I had about 50 to get rid of.

I had a similar dilemma - cleared over 40 rusty wheels and tyres from behind my garage.  Spent a sweaty morning removing them from rims with my manual changer, nice pile of rims to weigh in.  But what to do with they tyres?  Same story to begin, began puttng 4 in the boot to take to the dump, each time we were passing, rotating the cars.  Dropped into a local classic car owning butcher on the way home from a night shift and was chatting about how long it might take, the butcher had a light bulb moment and said  he might know someone who could help.  A quick phone call was made, "is £20 ok?" he said.  Duly agreed I went home to await for a "helpful person" to arrive.  At 10am on the dot a small white van turned up, and who should jump out ....   the man from the dump!  Happy days 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I have a changer that was too cheap not to buy £40 brand new. She is worth that second hand any day of the week. It is Rawl bolded to the workshop floor. The tyre iron is a bit pants so I bought a heavy duty one suitable for alloys also a good set of 3 ft tyre levers. Also got a full size bucket of soap, brushs, a good tub of soloution and a box of proper patches. Not that I have used her much.

Edited by Gt6s
  • Thanks 1