TR7 V8 Grumble but not wheel bearings!

TReslaV8

Having completed a long 2000 mile journey in a weekend recently (!) I could feel a grumbling when turning left through the steering wheel. Wheel bearings was my first thought , but having jacked the car up and spun both front wheels they run fine and rocking the wheels side to side and top to bottom reveals no real play (teensiest amount on one but probably a mil or two ) so I am at a loss.

Any ideas what the grumble might be? 

Still could be the beginnings of a wheel bearing problem, but also, how about your tyres? Any bumps, bulges or feathering of tread blocks?

Had an issue with a big Audi a few years ago where it sounded as though all four wheel bearings were shot. I even changed one of them, which made absolutely no difference.  It also had some odd handling traits so I got it 4 wheel aligned. It was well out, but actually drove worse afterwards. The alignment guy had been fairly rude about the tyres on it, so I bit the (large) bullet and invested in 4 new tyres. Utterly transformed it for the better. No more noise and drove so much better…..

Nick

Thanks guys, I will give the tyres a proper inspection and check full lock to see if they are rubbing anywhere but I suspect not. The tyres are about 3 years old from memory, but possible  they have some damage, particularly on the inner faces.  Appreciate the suggestions.  David