Recommendations for Tyres on TR7 V8

Howard

When I recently acquired my new TR8 it came with some nice Minilight style 14" wheels with H rated Firestone tyres- aside from the age (over 15 years, but still OK when I checked with Firestone!) they are not suitable for cars with a theoretical top speed of 135mph. Currently the only available 195/60R14 V rated tyres are from Michelin at 200 quid each - OUCH!!... so I have acquired a set of 15" MGF wheels where there are plenty of options.

On my TR7 I used Continental Premium 2 TL 185/55 VR15 H tyres which handled very well & have the same rolling diameter as the current 195/60R14 tyres . However they are an old design and the current tyre reviews are leaving me totally confused, so am looking for recommendations.

Cheers

Howard

57 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I favor Falken Ecorun on my Spitfire, but the speed you want has a version but it's not exactly the same as the ones I have. I have the H rated Sincera, you'd want the V rated Ziex (https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/falken/ziex-ze310-ecorun/185/55/R15/V/86/m?tyre=37622718

I'm very happy with the Sincera.

Got those, in 195/50/15, on Gills MX5. Seem to be competent enough.

But Uniroyals have a good reputation, as do most of the "premium" brand tyres. Trouble with "tyre tests" is they are rarely done on cars with similar characteristics to a Triumph of any sort. And almost invariably, tyres do better in some tests than others.

1 minute ago, Howard said:

Clive,

Thats why I am asking for comments as a tyre test on front wheel drive cars isnt really applicable.

H

My money would be on Uniroyals, plenty of the (earlier)TR drivers seem to like them. I have been very happy with a set of Michelin Crossclimates (in 14") on my roto Spitfire with good power. But I get the feeling most quality tyres will do a good job.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone give me feedback on Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125 tyres? I ordered a set of Yokohama Advan Flex tyres from BlackCircles since both Chris Shaw and Beans use them (or an earlier version) on their TR7's but BlackCircle have been messing me around big time and are now telling me that they cannot supply them and proposing the Hankook's as an alternative.

Thanks

Howard

I have totally given up on Blackcircles and concluded that they could not organise a p**s up in a brewery and cancelled my order and will be fitting the Falken Ecorun Ziex which my local supplier are doing at a much better price than Blackcircles & can fit immediately...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Howard said:

I have totally given up on Blackcircles and concluded that they could not organise a p**s up in a brewery and cancelled my order and will be fitting the Falken Ecorun Ziex which my local supplier are doing at a much better price than Blackcircles & can fit immediately...

They are only middle men, the offers they suggest on certain tyres are nonexistent as you can get them cheaper direct - It’s a big scam!

They were good when they first started off but as everything else they’ve just become greedy.