Alternative seats for a GT6 mk3?

Rubce

Hi All

The existing front seats in our GT6 Mark 3 are uncomfortable for a long journey and the headrests are virtually useless as their tops only come up to the base of my neck. With the existing seats it would be impossible to use it on an event like the C2C or RBRR as I wouldn't be able to get any sleep whilst my co driver was driving.

Can anyone suggest alternative comfy seats with taller backs and headrests?

I am 6ft 1" tall.

Thanks

Bruce

Not really. As someone who's done 5 RBRRs in a Mk3 GT6 with standard seats (pre-headrest version) and the last one in a Spitfire with the GT6's passenger seat to provide reclining for the co-driver to sleep, and not found any problem doing so, it's hard for me to judge. True, I'm a shorty, which makes it easier, but my experience of a TR7 on RBRR suggests that making the seats taller will be a hindrance. For best sleep you need to be able to fully recline, and the GT6 doesn't have that much space to recline a taller seat into.

Rob 

If your a shortie, your experience is not relevant to my situation.

A headrest should stop your head slamming backwards if the car gets rear ended in an accident. The ones in our Stag would do that as I have Fiat Coupe seats installed. The existing ones in our GT6 most definitely would not as I am tall. On todays over crowded roads I would not want to drive a car without headrests.

In my experience of using our Stag seats don't need to recline too much to get sleep but head support is a must.

Cheers 

Bruce

The paradox you have is that as a tall person, the original pattern seats are about the only ones that sit you low enough in the car.

People say fit MX5 seats, but those happy with that solution will mostly be short people!

I went with early Spitty 1500 seats in my GT6. That’s the vinyl ones with headrests. The head rests do come up just about high enough and with fresh foams the seats seem reasonably comfortable though I’ve not done more than 2 hours so far.

My son has MX5 NA separate headrest seats in his Spit. They were way too high (look over the windscreen high). With a double foam-ectomy they are merely too high. He’s also modded the seat structure in the rear corners so they go back far enough. Better, but still some way from ideal.

I’m 6’3”, he’s a couple of inches shorter though similar in the body.

Nick

• Like 1

And that is just about where the seat options finish.

I had MX5 seats in my spitfire, and again did the frame modification and cut the seat foams down. It is probably my driving position, but even at my "correct" size of 5'8, I found myself with my eyeling being the screen frame. The "new" spit has rebuilt std seats, which I can doze in (but apparently I can do that anywhere). The MX5 seats were very comfy to snooze in. 

On 24/10/2021 at 16:16, Clive said:

And that is just about where the seat options finish.

I had MX5 seats in my spitfire, and again did the frame modification and cut the seat foams down. It is probably my driving position, but even at my "correct" size of 5'8, I found myself with my eyeling being the screen frame. The "new" spit has rebuilt std seats, which I can doze in (but apparently I can do that anywhere). The MX5 seats were very comfy to snooze in. 

Which version of an MX5 were the seats from, mark 1, 2 or 3? 

Regards

Bruce

On 24/10/2021 at 18:58, thescrapman said:

Other option is drop the floor pan a couple of inches, then the MX5 seats fit better.

I would look at pictures of what others have done, or even better try to get to see some. 

there are a couple of GT6 with MX5 tombstone seats in them. Sure 1 of the owners is about6 ft.

I am hearing that MX5 mark 1 seats fit a GT6 okay? 

Just been watching an interesting video clip on YouTube where the chap welded the back top section of a MX5 mark 3 seat to a gt6 seat frame. He then attached the baseplate from the MX5 to the GT6 base and used the foams and covers of the MX5 seats. The result was a seat low to the floor but with side bolsters and a high back and head rest.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

I am 6’ and changed my Gt6 mk2 seats for spitfire 1500 seats new foams and used the basket weave vinyl covers (adapted for headrest fitting).  I did this because my wife (5’9”)was used to headrests and felt unprotected without them.  Personally I liked the original non head rest reclining seats. Not sure what the risk of being rear ended is given the miles we do in these cars and when generally we avoid commuting traffic in favour of open roads. In 35 years of motoring daily commuting etc I have only been rear ended once and then only at 5 mph. Perhaps I’ve been lucky.  The 1500 headrests came up easily far enough for me to protect my neck and even my wife (who is incredibly fussy about car seats) said that they were very comfortable and we did the last RBRR in it without back, neck or leg ache.  Perhaps new foams and check the movement of the head rests?  However, seats are quite a subjective thing some body types suit some and not others.  

Bob

Was rear-ended in a Mk1 Golf many years ago while waiting at a junction. I was stationary, but Sherpa van (gas man) that hit me was doing a fair bit more than 5mph…. Was a hard hit…. Still have a dodgy neck to this day. That car had headrests. Hate to think what the outcome would have been without headrests.

Nick

• 1 month later...

After some adjustment of the runners and side frames, I gave both seats to a local chap who works as a trimmer in the Bentley car factory. He lowered the foam height in the bases by 1" and also removed the electrical occupancy pads.

I then drilled four new holes in the floorpan and mounted the drivers seat. 

After taking the car for a test drive this afternoon I can report that I am happy with the result. 

Next job is to install the passenger seat.

Bruce

20211219_141116.jpg

20211219_140233.jpg

Well, I'm 6' and have never had any problems with my MX5 (MK1) seats, height-wise. I spent a bit of time getting the frame as low as possible i.e. hammer flat the front seat mountings. The cloth seats are very comfortable, as proven by taking part in most of the 10CRs, they recline enough to doze off and the backs also tip forward and they look period. Forget the useless head-rest speakers. Sorry the 'fitted' photo doesn't show much but you can see the drivers well back while the passenger seat is forward. On the other photo (not my seats) you can see the front mounts that need flattening. You can find instructions on how to fit these seats on google or send me a pm and I'll forward them to you.

thumbnail_20200401_111846.jpg

MX5 Seats.jpg