Rear Shock Absorbers

Topic63

Rimmers suggest GSA280

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID008057?selectedcurrency=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8eOLBhC1ARIsAOzx5cEr5T5VNaPjZxlD7j5oCmLuCJl5rutEY2tslIZfqfTU5kSyFRS7684aAjNaEALw_wcB

As indeed do Canleys (though NLA in std or Koni)

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-gt6-mki/ii&diagram=triumph-gt6-mki/ii-rear-suspension-rotoflex

There is a thread somewhere which shows a VW beetle shock is almost identical. A search may turn up definitive info

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Rimmers suggest GSA280

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID008057?selectedcurrency=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8eOLBhC1ARIsAOzx5cEr5T5VNaPjZxlD7j5oCmLuCJl5rutEY2tslIZfqfTU5kSyFRS7684aAjNaEALw_wcB

As indeed do Canleys (though NLA in std or Koni)

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-gt6-mki/ii&diagram=triumph-gt6-mki/ii-rear-suspension-rotoflex

There is a thread somewhere which shows a VW beetle shock is almost identical. A search may turn up definitive info

VW Beetle 1303 by the looks but would be nice if someone could confirm?

10 hours ago, Topic63 said:

It seems the rotoflex rear shocks are unobtainable which I find strange?

Probably because the only application is the few thousand (if that) Mk2 and early Mk3 GT6s, so it’s not worth making/stocking them.

The other option is to get chassis extension brackets and fit the swing-axle dampers. Has the benefit of not battering the shock mounts/inner arches any more.  If you have CV driveshafts you can just fit the swing axle dampers without brackets, though there is a bit of offset on some cars.

Nick

GSA385 is non roto only. Correct roto shock is GSA280.

Unfortunately the OE shock has not been unavailable since we bought the remaining stock from the manufacturer over twenty years ago. We thought we had bought sufficient stock to see us through till the end, but it quickly got vacuumed up by one of the larger traders.

The only other alternative after that was the Koni 80-2089, but after supplies got flacky on that we haven't had a viable alternative to offer.

Some traders have continued to sell the GSA385 as suitable for the roto cars, which it isn't.

We used to advise (but not sell) a Mini Cooper Koni (with a bush change) but I'm not sure that is still the case.

We have a very reliable, and reasonably priced shock manufacturer who could quite easily replicate the original item, but it demands a large initial order (MOQ).

As you might imagine the market for these is tiny, and potential sales not helped by others selling the wrong thing willy nilly, I'm not sure at this late stage in the game I can justify having that much money tied up on the shelf!

Edited by Slimboyfat

Yes, had forgotten about the Mini shock….. I think it’s pretty much perfect except the bottom bush need changing or the sleeve drilling out. There’s a thread about it somewhere on the Sideways forum which gives the Koni number.  I’ll look later, not going to try and find it on my phone…..

Nick

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

The info is here amongst much else, some of it red herrings!

https://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/6445-damper-sizing-on-lowered-gt6/&tab=comments#comment-105919

Not the thread I was thinking of but has the Koni numbers towards the end.

I’ve read that the mini ones bottom out?

I’m still investigating the Beetle ones which have a fully open length of 415mm and closed 270mm so I’m not sure if they would make the rear end sit high?

Given that it seems OEM ones are now NLA someone must have found, tried and fitted an alternative?

These are the VW Beetle type and look very similar?

These have an opening length of 415mm & a closed length of 270mm. It would be good to find another alternative similar to the OEM parts......

Ive also emailed the Heritage parts center to see if they have heard of this retro fit onto GT6’s 🤷‍♂️

BB00F552-C76C-4CC9-8718-4D7D4905F7B8.jpeg

1414CF8B-E049-4740-8DE6-AE0A8A9505A9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

What seems to be missing from all of the threads so far is the open/closed lengths of a “proper” Roto damper? The Koni 80-1389 recommendation is for rotoflex cars using the chassis mounts, not for use with original inner wing mounts.

I removed mine earlier and should have taken some measurements....Lol

I'll take one off again tomorrow and measure it, the ones fitted are Girling not that this matters. There has to be a similar damper used on other cars with similar dimensions?

25 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

KYB make a decent damper. Is it listed for anything other than GT6 by BPNW?

Will they ship to the UK?

Nick

Try rock auto. Get a pn from them and it may, just may, turn up stuff in the UK.

I got the oil filter adapters fro rockauto, they do a import duty paid scheme which was not stupidly expensive.

On 28/10/2021 at 10:33, Topic63 said:

I’ve read that the mini ones bottom out?

I’m still investigating the Beetle ones which have a fully open length of 415mm and closed 270mm so I’m not sure if they would make the rear end sit high?

Given that it seems OEM ones are now NLA someone must have found, tried and fitted an alternative?

I fitted the Koni Classic 80/1717 type Dampers to my Mk2 Vitesse around 2013, they are meant for the front of an early Mini and worked well when using the Chassis extension brackets, I experienced no bottoming out even with 2 rear passengers?

I think the open length is 296mm and closed length 218mm.

You do have to drill out slightly the rear sleeve in the bottom bush and replace the top one with a Superflex Top-hat bush and modified spacer washers if using the Shouldered Bolt arrangement.

If you do a search for Koni on the TSSC Site it should help you decide what to do.

I bought  the Dampers from a company called Larkspeed at a competitive price.

I will try and find some more Info for you 

Gary

10 minutes ago, garyf said:

Here's some images of the Bush Modifications/Spacers and the Drawing of the Koni 80/1717 Damper detailing open and closed lengths

I got the Top hat Bushes from Chris Witor, Superflex Reference 0365 and the Top Extension Brackets and special top Bolt off Mark at Jigsaw

Regards

Gary

Bracket & Bushes.jpg

Modified Bush & Spacer Washer.jpg

80-1717.pdf 114.02 kB · 1 download

The only problem is I’m looking for dampers that fit the inner arch mounts. I assume to fit these you have had to fit the chassis extension mounts to avoid the rotoflex couplings?

I would (if I can) find the longer damper as a straight exchange - Without having to go Gaz 🤷‍♂️

Im still looking into it and searching various options, KYB seem to be the boys but it’s availability in the UK.

2 hours ago, Clive said:

Try rock auto. Get a pn from them and it may, just may, turn up stuff in the UK.

I got the oil filter adapters fro rockauto, they do a import duty paid scheme which was not stupidly expensive.

Eventually managed to email Rockauto, that is one over-engineered web site 🤪😁

I'm sure that the one they have listed is non-rotoflex but I’ve asked the question? 

15 minutes ago, Topic63 said:

The only problem is I’m looking for dampers that fit the inner arch mounts. I assume to fit these you have had to fit the chassis extension mounts to avoid the rotoflex couplings?

I would (if I can) find the longer damper as a straight exchange - Without having to go Gaz 🤷‍♂️

Im still looking into it and searching various options, KYB seem to be the boys but it’s availability in the UK.

Yes

These Koni dampers are for use with the Chassis Brackets

It might be worth swapping to this type or GAZ equivalents if you can't source the correct longer dampers, as I believe the wheel arch top mounts can fatigue and crack on the GT6.

But it will be more costly for sure.

Regards

Gary

4 minutes ago, garyf said:

Yes

These Koni dampers are for use with the Chassis Brackets

It might be worth swapping to this type or GAZ equivalents if you can't source the correct longer dampers, as I believe the wheel arch top mounts can fatigue and crack on the GT6.

But it will be more costly for sure.

Regards

Gary

The GT was rebuilt not that long ago so I’m not concerned about fatigue or corrosion at this time (it’s like new!)

I've also heard about this fatigue/corrosion issue but then again I've also heard it’s a bit of scaremongering due to lack of maintenance, unloved cars 🤷‍♂️  

• Like 1