Rear Shock Absorbers

Topic63

44 minutes ago, Topic63 said:

I've also heard about this fatigue/corrosion issue but then again I've also heard it’s a bit of scaremongering due to lack of maintenance, unloved cars 🤷‍♂️  

They pretty much all have some rot there as the water gets between the spot welded layers. The inner arch panels usually fail first because they are thinner, but it doesn’t much show as it’s in the cabin under glued down carpet.

On mine, one side was showing signs of bubbling and bulging on the inside (carpet removed) but looked ok in the arch. The inside looked fine. Both sides go removed by drilling out the many spot welds and on both sides the inner arch panels were well rotted with large sections cut out and new metal let in. I’ve gone directly to the chassis with the dampers now so the brackets were left off.

Nick

• Like 1

I bought rear shocks for my rotoflex 69 GT6+ from Spitbits in the US.  They are KYB brand.  I ended up not using them, rather opting to do the frame extensions and use non-rotoflex shocks.

The original upper shock attachment points were in really bad shape on my car, with a lot of hidden rust between the wheel well and the doubler plate.  Some pics  the rust repair and the frame extensions here:

http://bullfire.net/GT6/GT6-41/GT6-41.html

Ed

4 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

They pretty much all have some rot there as the water gets between the spot welded layers. The inner arch panels usually fail first because they are thinner, but it doesn’t much show as it’s in the cabin under glued down carpet.

On mine, one side was showing signs of bubbling and bulging on the inside (carpet removed) but looked ok in the arch. The inside looked fine. Both sides go removed by drilling out the many spot welds and on both sides the inner arch panels were well rotted with large sections cut out and new metal let in. I’ve gone directly to the chassis with the dampers now so the brackets were left off.

Nick

Mine is a bit of a garage queen and doesn’t go out in the wet 😁😎😎

I’m happy and confident that the inner arch mounts are in good order 👍

2 hours ago, Ed H said:

I bought rear shocks for my rotoflex 69 GT6+ from Spitbits in the US.  They are KYB brand.  I ended up not using them, rather opting to do the frame extensions and use non-rotoflex shocks.

The original upper shock attachment points were in really bad shape on my car, with a lot of hidden rust between the wheel well and the doubler plate.  Some pics  the rust repair and the frame extensions here:

http://bullfire.net/GT6/GT6-41/GT6-41.html

Ed

KYB are certainly the only supplier, however the down side is that most if not all suppliers don’t give out the actual KYB part number so makes it extremely difficult to track them down in Europe or the UK......I’ll get there in the end 👍

KYB Part numbers for this type is a 6 digit number similar to ‘342711’ All I need is that number to finally track them down.

I’m narrowing things down slowly, the KYB dampers are (as far as I can see for now) for a VW Beetle on part No.343144.

Just waiting on confirmation from KYB Europe and USA but they are only sold in the States which I find a little strange, there again I suppose the call for them in the UK is very low 🤷‍♂️

I’ll keep you all posted..........

A7E28B85-1437-45D9-8B6F-45641E1E2412.jpeg

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

Found a mention of the travel on the Koni 80-2089, slightly mixed up with the normal one

1/2" bolt is 14" to 9.5"

5/8" bolt is 12" to 9 5/8"

Just checked the ones fitted (Girling) they are just over 13” with wheel jacked off the ground, so the Koni ones look about right......🤔

Edited by Topic63

51 minutes ago, Topic63 said:

Finally found the correct KYB shock absorbers, now to locate them in the UK.......🤷‍♂️

FFB177E7-4CDE-44D9-A29B-E3E64485D539.jpeg

Should have guessed, only available to our cousins over the pond.....WHY?

Back to the drawing board unless KYB Europe pull a rabbit out of the hat 😡

Gaz dampers seems to be the only option......

5 hours ago, Topic63 said:

KYB are certainly the only supplier, however the down side is that most if not all suppliers don’t give out the actual KYB part number so makes it extremely difficult to track them down in Europe or the UK......I’ll get there in the end 👍

KYB Part numbers for this type is a 6 digit number similar to ‘342711’ All I need is that number to finally track them down.

Mine are marked on the box: "Shock Absorber Rear G  

GSA280HD"

That could be a Spibits part number.

On the shock itself is stamped "344068".

11 hours ago, Ed H said:

GSA280HD"

The Number mentioned is the KYB part number and is their Excel-G shock absorber, it’s a little longer than the one I’ve mentioned above.....

C7F53932-3FE4-42D6-8A9A-245A43F6098D.jpeg

12 hours ago, Ed H said:

GSA280HD"

Hi Ed,

I’ve just found the last 2 of these (344068 Excel-G dampers) on Amazon and placed an order, we will see when they arrive - Thanks for sending the KYB part number, that helped a lot 👍

So after days trying, I’ve had to give in and order the Gaz dampers from Rimmers.

The KYB ones are available within the warehouse in the UK but try as I might, you just can’t get anyone to actually order them....even after contacting KYB-Europe for assistance 🤷‍♂️

So, my simple next question is - What’s the best setting to set these Gaz ones to for normal every day driving?

Unless you go Gaz or modify the damper position, it seems rotoflex standard dampers are no longer available.

5759B7FC-BF9D-45AC-9A67-B58ECDE9B344.jpeg