which shock absorbers??

Jacob

Hehe... you do like opening cans of worms 😛

I've always fitted standard ones, as I like the car to be tolerably comfortable on real world roads. The exception is the GT6's rear - rotoflex, converted from the long and unobtainable to the chassis extension brackets - where the kit came with Spax adjustables and I find they need to be on their softest setting to be tolerable.

Years ago, when I owned a TR7 Sprint running completely standard (if a bit worn) spongy suspension, a mate of a mate brought round his "uprated and stiffened" TR7 for me to look over. On a test drive, the "uprated" car just bounced all over the road and couldn't take corners at any speed because it spent half its time not in contact with anything. By contrast, mine would wallow all over the place but cornered well in excess of what you'd want to.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jacob said:

Hi there guys thanks for all your help on my other post! 

I would also like to know your thoughts on shock absorbers. Orginal or upgraded (eg gaz) if so which ones?

cheeers jacob 

Hi Jacob,

I have posted a long investigation into shock absorbers in the technical section and as Rob indicated, if you have a rotoflex GT6 then sadly the original standard inner arch mounted shocks are extremely difficult to source.

I have opted for the Gaz option but still arch mounted as per the original, available from several Triumph suppliers but do shop around.

You ‘can’ obtain KYB standard alternatives but again you will need to try and source them from a supplier, cost is approx £80+ a pair compared to the Gaz @ over £150

Check out my post in the technical section 👍

7FFA399A-1E8B-4E41-B515-DA6910E7D393.jpeg

For the front, Koni…..

That is all. 

May still be cheaper to buy direct from Bastuck in Germany in spite of Al de Piffles foolery. Certainly worth checking.

For the rear, possibly the same answer unless you can track down KYB ones. The swing axle versions are definitely present in the UK but not very easy to find, though if you local motor factor deals with KYB they can get them for you.

I did buy some cheapest Monroe branded ones for the rest of my GT6 ( using chassis brackets). They are a little soft. Certainly a huge improvement on the non-adjustable Spax ones which were hammering the jam out of my spinal doughnuts.

Nick

Recently changed the doughnuts on my mk2 gt6 (3rd time in twenty years), not a lot of miles in that time, same old story, the rubber perishes and splits. 

Shocks are still mounted to the inner arch, so they were removed, cleaned up and repainted. Changed a couple of rubber bushes with good used originals, I throw nothing away.

Still working perfectly, and I wouldn't  be surprised if they are the original shocks.  They are made by Woohead.