1975 2500 TC - Flywheel and "stiffener" plate

Anton

Hi,

I have recently re-built my 1975 2500 TC motor (on an auto) and there was a small, round, steel plate that sat between the flywheel and the motor - apparently a "stiffener" plate.  In some engine diagrams I have seen there are two - one each side of the flywheel.  Anyway - the parts are no longer available and I damaged the one when removing it initially.  My questions are:

1. Is this part critical?  I presume it is adding strength to the flywheel which is fairly flimsy on the automatics.

2. If so - can I just get one made up?

3. If yes to the above, what are the specifications of the plate - especially how thick it should be.

Really appreciate any help and advice.

Anton

Finished Engine 1.png

Finished Engine 2.png

8 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Are these the parts in question? Is yours the 6 or 8 bolt version?

DSC_2923.thumb.JPG.ae421cacb905ef797b6063d2c66730fa.JPG

Not sure if the spares I have are big saloon or Dolomite... or even if there's any difference.

The one on the right looks like what came off my car - not substantial in terms of thickness etc - the flywheel I have has only got 4 main holes + 2 locator holes.  I see that the one on the right is quite obviously thinner than the other one (which was not even on my car??) and that it is slightly flanged - this is what I damaged when pulling my motor to bits.  So the big questions is, how important is this specific part?  What is it made of? 1mm stainless steel?

On 29/11/2021 at 09:19, yorkshire_spam said:

If yours is 4 main + 2 locators sounds like you need the "6 hole" version? I'll check the thickness of the plate on the right for you, feels like it might be stainless or another "hard" steel.

If yours is 4 main + 2 locators sounds like you need the "6 hole" version? I'll check the thickness of the plate on the right for you, feels like it might be stainless or another "hard" steel.

Could you please measure the thickness and diameter of the flange washer (not the thick plate)?  I suspect it is 1mm thick SS. Thanks.