Missed out on the 10CR? Is there space for an additional continental event?

Jason

I've done all the 10CRs since the very first "unofficial" one and it's a great concept. You can see that by the way it took a little over 3 hours to sell 80 places, it get faster and faster to sell out every time. 

So I got to thinking, could we do something in addition to the 10CR, a separate event, separate route but also on continental Europe? I wouldn't want to take anything away from the 10CR so I'm thinking we could make it very different  - maybe even back incorporate a night drive and maybe keep it bare bones without a dinner and accomodations arranged.  

As you can probably tell, I haven't fully thought this through yet although it's clear to me that such an event cannot take anythng away from the 10CR but must add a different dimension to be viable. It may be that the club can't support another event like this but its not beyond our capabilities to organise something as a 'private'  venture in the spirit of the club. It's important to me not to take anything away and only to add to our choices of events.

Thoughts, concerns, ideas - all welcome 😁

I would say yes, definitely.  Possibly you might struggle to get agreement on the format!

Though I found it interesting that the 10CR sold out in a few hours in spite of there being more or less no information on the route (which I found very off-putting) -  so maybe people don't care that much....

Nick

I think a "I can't believe it's not the 10CR" on RBRR years would be a great idea. As per other comments - agreeing the format OTOH... that's a whole other issue.

I really enjoyed the jaunt east on the 2015 run, but I'm not up for drives through the night (crew member health issues would preclude that) so the current 10CR format suits us in that regard. 

I think @Howard's idea of a Scandi-run would be really really cool, but if you try and loop back through Estonia/Latvia etc. avoid Kaliningrad! that just complicates things.

The object is to provide something different to the 10CR so I like the idea of a night drive. The prospect of heading for interesting venues or touristy landmarks is a good one - I'm a fan of the 1970 World cup Rally, so I'd like to visit some of the controls used, if possible.

• Like 1

Sounds like a European version of the C2C would be good - it could go to different places, with something to see at both ends and probably shorter than the premium events - perhaps the event could be over a single weekend, but travelling independently to the start and finish on Friday/Monday.

• Like 1

When the 2019  10CR filled up, which I waited until the dust had settled, I then asked around if anyone would be interested in such a jaunt ,not wanting to jepordise the 10CR entry interest

I had planned the route and the main objective was The Lingotto in Turin.....................I had little response, and finished up with six cars enjoying a `casual` "Few Countries"... They were all CT members who had chose not to do the 10CR, for various reasons

Maybe if there was an objective in the Lingotto Run.....so maybe another run with similar objectives would go down well, albeit the Club Sec is planning another continental run and would`nt want to affect this  

I notice that there are a few new faces on the latest 10CR entry..............and just wonder what they expect to find on this event. Its not a cruise or casual jaunt.

I really did enjoy the earlier ones with `out of normal hours` driving...........but I am now getting older !!  

6 minutes ago, Velocita Rosso said:

I notice that there are a few new faces on the latest 10CR entry..............and just wonder what they expect to find on this event. Its not a cruise or casual jaunt.

Mike, as people have been asked about previous "big" event experience, it should be a simple task for the organisers to make contact and make sure they know what to expect.

But more relevent, nobody will have entered without some sort of idea. 3hrs means people were ready and waiting, with news spreading fast as entry was announced earlier in the day. 

Like you, I like (need) a half decent sleep every night. That is unachieveable in a spitfire with a rollbar.... hotels are a necessity. 

Some of the guys in my local area occasionally plan trips, which are always thoroughly enjoyed by those who partake. We've done NC500, NWC850, Peaks-Lakes-Dales and (longer ago but possibly planning a repeat next year) the length of Italy. All of these have been done with overnight stops and no night driving. Most of the regulars on these have done RBRR and/or 10CR in the past and several of them are signed up for 10CR next year, but at least one of us has no interest in RBRR or 10CR but did all three of the more recent Cambridge big runs (and was the only one whose car survived to the end of the PLD!)

There is certainly a place for hard-core events and the club does them really well. There is also a place for some "other-half-friendly" "casual jaunt" type runs, with more time for sightseeing, good eating (hey, if you're in mainland Europe you've got to sample the food!) and (quite importantly for some of us) sleep.

2 hours ago, Clive said:

Like you, I like (need) a half decent sleep every night. That is unachieveable in a spitfire with a rollbar.... hotels are a necessity. 

I remember the Grenoble stop ,in a supermarket car park, Gendarmes coming round shining their roof lights on everyone.

The Spitfire has fully reclining seats and we were stretched full out....lovely ....The following morning someone next to us ,waking up on the car park floor, said " I think a rat ran over my legs in the night".....as we had parked next to a drainage ditch! 

On 24/11/2021 at 20:32, Jason said:

It may be that the club can't support another event like this but its not beyond our capabilities to organise something as a 'private'  venture in the spirit of the club.

I seem to recall that a few years ago one of our colleagues was keen on a Summer Solstice Run (Lands End to Felixstow) but it had to be dropped from this forum because the club wouldn't support it as it wasn't an official event and would not meet MSA rules...or something like that.

However, like Mike C, I have proposed Continental Runs in the past (Acropolis Rally, The Two Run Run!) but unsupported events rarely come to fruition.

Jason, Quite a few of us are off to Classic Le Mans next summer, I've added a week to the crossing times to allow for a jaunt afterward...somewhere. Didn't you suggest, years ago, a trip to North Cape, or was it Moscow? I read an interesting article, some time ago, about a bunch of lads in a Montego Estate that did a Nord Cap to Gibraltar run, 3500 miles but, of course, you have to get to the start and back from the finish, so some 7000 miles!!! 

Like Howard, I have suggested to a 10CR organiser the possibility of a Scandinavian trip but my idea of an overnight ferry to Poland didn't seem too appetising.

I have to say though, that most of my Continental trips have been with good mates with very little planning; and accommodation only found on arrival at a town/city that looked lively.

17 minutes ago, Velocita Rosso said:

I remember the Grenoble stop ,in a supermarket car park, Gendarmes coming round shining their roof lights on everyone.

We were parked next to you in a car park in Basle...Basle Airport, who thought that one up. Not to mention the cemetery car park in Condom. Love it all!!

Edited by Don Cook

3 hours ago, Clive said:

Not necessarily Clive...  1500 reclining seats, with the headrest modified so that you can remove it, and the roll bar (Safety Devices) carefully fitted so that the seat back still fully reclines and with the headest re-inserted, works well.

Edited by sparky_spit

6 hours ago, sparky_spit said:

Not necessarily Clive...  1500 reclining seats, with the headrest modified so that you can remove it, and the roll bar (Safety Devices) carefully fitted so that the seat back still fully reclines and with the headest re-inserted, works well.

Hmm, we have a diagonal. Trust me, I have tried. And I , like you, am correctly sized......

2 hours ago, Clive said:

And I , like you, am correctly sized......

🤔 huh….. well, spare a thought for us “oversize” versions 🙄

MGF seats in a Vitesse convertible don’t recline either.  I remember being roused from a fitful doze in an Austrian lay-by at about 3am after a very long day by a “lady” offering “services”. 😳

I can still manage one night on the road and actually prefer not to stop for “break” because I can’t sleep anyway.

Nick