Starter solenoid wiring

cheeseball

Hello all, 

I thought you chaps might be able to help me on this one, I have tried researching but to no avail.

I recently accired a second hand starter for my 2500tc engined 2000 and the Lucar terminals (I think thats what there called) are In different places than the one I took out and all other instances Ive seen in my research, maybe I was googling the wrong things but on the one I took out had one on either side for a WR wire going to the ignition and a WY going to a resistor according to the schematics in the manual, but on the 2nd hand one they are both on 1 side and I want to be fully sure I put then on correctly.

Sorry for the bad image quality but I think it shows what I mean⁸

20211202_114608.jpg

20211202_113146.jpg

20211202_113150.jpg

Looking at your last photo, one of the terminals looks to be smaller than the other. It's also marked "IGN". I would expect this to be the one the goes to the ignition coil / ballast resistor, and the other one to be the connection from the starter terminal on the ignition switch. That would also be supported by the presence of a fairly chunky internal wire that seems to re-emerge opposite - I'm guessing that's the solenoid coil.

The way to test it, if you're in doubt, is to only connect the switch wire (should, I think, be white with a red tracer). If the starter then works off the key as expected then you've got the right terminal. Connecting to the other should be safe & harmless as it's a N/O contact on the solenoid so it doesn't form any sort of circuit until the solenoid is operated - i.e. the starter position on the key would just do nothing.

• Thanks 1