Triumph Herald seats - but which Model?

Antonnick

I have decided to redo the front seats on my Triumph Herald 13/60 of 1970 vintage. The existing vinyl covers display the pattern of an earlier model but I have assumed that the basic frame design is the same. It could be that someone previously recovered the seats with old covers, who knows? Anyway on striping all the old foam etc off I found this. ( pls see attachment)

The squab has an inbuilt metal spring arrangement. It is in quite good condition actually. Is this how how earlier models were made or have I got a hybrid?

The refurbishment kit comes with its own foam infill but should I cut the spring mattress out and use the modern foam or leave it as it is? What advice can someone give?

IMG_1304.JPG

59 minutes ago, Antonnick said:

Yes, I removed the rubber Diaphragm from the seat area. It did not look too old. Also the refurb kit includes the straps for the squab so I could completely remove the springs and use them. Whether that is better or not??

I would use the complete kit as supplied IF the new squab straps fit ok to your frame. Dont think the new foam will work with the springs in place so you would have to get a thinner piece to go over them and then the cover might not fit as intended...

Yes Rosbif and thankyou for the diagramme - I see the seat frame is exactly the same as mine but the vinyl covers had the earlier pattern and the spring mattress on the squab.

What I am going to do is to attempt to fit the squab over the springs and see what it feels like. I can always later cut the springs away ( they are welded to the frame) and fit the straps. 

• 1 month later...

To tidy up the thread. 

I had to cut the spring "cushion" away from the squab frame - it would not let itself be pulled out. Thence I installed the and glued the new foam cushion to the frame before wrapping it with thin plastic food wrapping and then pulling the new vinyl squab over it. 

The straps had to have new holes drilled into the frame but that was quite easy. The new foam cushion with its wings would have been far too bulky with the spring "cushion" also in place to be able to fit the vinyl squab cover.

@ Glang - yes there was a foam stuff over the spring but I have discarded it. It was ok but I wanted eveything new.

• 1 month later...

I have come back to this topic.

Has anyone had problems with the rubber diaphragm? i have installed it in both seats and even before anyone has sat on it, the rubber has split at the sides. I was wondering whether the seats are wider than they should be as standard? No, that cannot be - all the foam covers fit.  Actually on my old Morris Minor, had the same problem with the rubber splitting but that was after they were in use. I installed some of the spare straps from the squab as support but it is of course a bodge. 

I have complained to the supplier  but that is not going to help much. 

I wonder if this is another example of the poor quality of replacement rubber components. Its come up time after time and although many spares dont match the original specifications anything with rubber in it (engine/gearbox mounts, wheel arch to bulkhead seal strips, gaiters...) seems to be really bad. Presumably for the manufacturers its perfect as they can use a cheaper rubber which looks good and and does the job but fails very quickly!

My seat diaphragms are 1967 originals and thankfully still going strong👍

Completely agree - cheap rubber is what the manufacturers use with disastrous results further down the line for the unwary.  My daughter had a 10 y old Citroen C1 a few years ago that began to take in large amounts of water.  A look on the internet revealed it is a common problem that the  rubber fails around all of the light clusters.  It was a week long carpets out £250 job to put right for the sake of 20 quids worth of decent rubber.  The main dealer did an excellent job putting it right and is still good today - it seems they had plenty of practice.  Even worse is that this car is a collaboration between Citroen/Peugot and Toyota.  Left unrectified the car would have been scrap 10 years earlier than was necessary.

I was on holiday  in Jersey a few months later and visited one of the many WW2 German Bunkers built during the Occupation.  They have various internal compartments separated by Gas-tight doors with - guess what ? - rubber seals that were as pristine and pliable as the day they were fitted nearly 80 years ago despite constant use in coastal conditions.  Looks like proven technology from decades ago was even available during a supply crisis.

Is not the problem that lots of the chemicals and processes needed to make decent rubber products are now banned, so we now have what seems to be good quality rubber products now are something else that just looks like rubber, andvcost a lot more, and we have products made without the banned chemicals that are rubbish.

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

Is not the problem that lots of the chemicals and processes needed to make decent rubber products are now banned

No, it's not. We're still quite capable of manufacturing good quality rubber parts for new cars, patio doors, chemical process jars... anything that needs it and is willing to pay enough / buy in sufficient bulk

Just now, RobPearce said:

No, it's not. We're still quite capable of manufacturing good quality rubber parts for new cars, patio doors, chemical process jars... anything that needs it and is willing to pay enough / buy in sufficient bulk

Absolutely.

Buy aftermarket rubber moulded hoses for a car, they fall apart. Yet those fitted to new cars are lasting almost indefinately. Likewise OEM engine mounts, they last forever, yet a cheap aftermarket fails within a few years. 

It is all about quality/cost. So for "our "cars, buying silicon bespoke hoses makes sense (I presume it is cheaper to make them than small run in quality rubber) 

As to a mention of light seals on the toyota/citroen/pugs it could be somebody cut corners and saved money, a bad batch or whatever. Manufacturers do make cock-ups. (BMW timing chains, ford ecoboost engines/cooling system etc etc) and I bet most of those are down to bean counters.

38 minutes ago, Clive said:

I bet most of those are down to bean counters.

A colleague of mine (electronics engineer) was in a meeting once with a supplier and somebody from our purchasing department. The supplier was pushing a particular transistor to replace what we used in the ignition coil driver. The bean counter asked my colleague "how much would that save us?"

"That's irrelevant," my colleague said, "because it wouldn't work."

"But how much would it save?" asked the bean counter.

"It wouldn't, we can't use it, it won't work," said the engineer.

"Don't be so obstructive," said the bean counter. "How much could we save?"

• Like 2