Fitting an electric fan

Gus

As said above, my Spitfire has had just an electric fan, with no mechanical fan in place, for many years now and has been absolutely fine, even in 34deg heat in the south of France.  I use a manual switch to control it rather than a thermostatic switch, but that's just my preference.  You may even get a tiny amount of extra BHP due to the engine not having to power the fan 😉

I suppose, if theres room, the one advantage of having both is that if the electric packs up for whatever reason you'll still have some cooling. Then with a thermostat you certainly shouldnt get any over cooling and, as Sparky says, the power absorbed is miniscule...

Well thats been talked about a lot in the past and as I say it seems to be almost negligeable given that the load depends on how much air is actually being moved by the fan. So even if its not a viscous type it comes down to what work the fan is doing when the air is already being forced through by the action of driving along. You could almost argue that the blast of air pushs the fan round and helps reduce engine load😂

40 minutes ago, glang said:

You could almost argue that the blast of air pushs the fan round and helps reduce engine load

Not really. It's certainly true that the blast of air pushes a free-spinning electric fan round if it's mounted in front of the radiator but if an engine driven fan is to do anything useful at idle then the air flow behind the radiator is not going to be fast enough to even significantly reduce the extra load caused by the fan. I'm sure you were being facetious in proposing a perpetual motion machine, though.

Noise was certainly part of it. The viscous coupling does reduce the wasted energy (and you can see that the air flow isn't doing anything because the viscous coupling does continue to slip when driving) as well as allowing a bigger fan to get more cooling when it's actually needed (at idle). Of course the bigger fan makes more noise, so there's a bit of swings and roundabouts.

The main driver for electric fans was the adoption of sideways mounted engines, of course.