6 cyl gearbox extension/remote commonality

iani

I will be fitting a 2.5l engine in my GT6 in the coming months, I took the opportunity to pick up a Sprint gearbox with J type OD this week, I got it cheaply so it doesn't owe me much and I will look to have it rebuilt with a saloon input shaft. My question is around the selector assembly, the gear-lever won't budge at all and all three rods appear to have corrosion on them, I have sprayed penetrating oil down them and will do so over the next few days. If I need to get another cover, will a TR6 or saloon remote work with the Sprint 'box?

Edited by iani
missed a bit

Not familiar with the Sprint gearbox, but I expect that the rods are steel, sliding in an aluminium housing?      Then heat the part, as aluminium's coefficient of heat expansion is much greater than steel.     This works well for, say, fitting gudgeon pins to pistons, and boiling water is quite hot enough.

What penetrant are you using?   WD40 is useless, everyone has a favourite.    I've found Innotec Deblock very good, if pricey.

Good luck

• Like 1

More or less all the same You really want one with the switches on top. Early lids use the switches at the lever base and top switch holes are neither drilled or tapped. BTW Daimler Dart SP250 uses the same box lid. In fact the Daimler box is really similar tho bell housing is different. Just out of interest.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

What penetrant are you using?   WD40 is useless, everyone has a favourite.    I've found Innotec Deblock very good, if pricey.

Good luck

It is WD40 brand but it's their penetrating oil, not the standard product.

WD stands for for "water displacement". Any lubrication or penetration effect is kind of secondary.

It is great on things exposed to the elements to get water out and help inhibit rust.

I used it for example on bicycle chains and gears first, but I follow up with chain oil.

It doesn't do as good a job as proper penetrating oil/fluid. I use whatever I can get easily and cheaply. So far I haven't seen much difference....

I like Ballistol products as they are easy to get in large quantities and are safe for pets and plastics (I use the stuff on my slot cars/Scalextric as well)...

7 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

WD stands for for "water displacement". Any lubrication or penetration effect is kind of secondary.

It is great on things exposed to the elements to get water out and help inhibit rust.

I used it for example on bicycle chains and gears first, but I follow up with chain oil.

It doesn't do as good a job as proper penetrating oil/fluid. I use whatever I can get easily and cheaply. So far I haven't seen much difference....

I like Ballistol products as they are easy to get in large quantities and are safe for pets and plastics (I use the stuff on my slot cars/Scalextric as well)...

WD40 is a brand name now, they sell a range of products, one is a penetrating oil, it is not the traditional product.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2022 at 19:56, iani said:

WD40 is a brand name now, they sell a range of products, one is a penetrating oil, it is not the traditional product.

Yep.,. in fact I even have "WD40" penetrating oil in the garage right now.. it was on sale with 10% more content!!!
I just try to warn people that standard WD40 product is not a lubricant or a penetrating oil. It is a water repellent first and happens to sometimes loosen rust or lubricate a little... it is of course better than nothing but specialized products will likely yield better results...

WD40 is also not 100% plastic safe. In the slot car (Scalextric) world a lot of people use it and the plastic can get soft or it may eat the rubber or remove paint off the plastic bodies etc.

• 2 weeks later...