Wise words for a classic car virgin

Sheep

Just come in to the ownership of a GT6 mk1 and am new to the forum, classic cars and Triumphs - so hello and thank you for the trove of information on the site.

I have a copy of the workshop manual and have ordered an owner manual (though does a PDF resource exist?).  Any suggestions for what else I should be reading / buying - a Haynes manual, I assume?

If anyone’s ever been on a European road trip in one then it’d be great to know how it went, and what spares one should take!

Based in Warwickshire if anyone ever wants a pint.  

Looking forward to some of the Club events, as work allows. 

Yours,

Steve. 

• Like 1

Nice choice of car.

For PDFs of documents, have a look through http://vitessesteve.co.uk/

As to long distance trip, this club does the RBRR one year (2000 miles in a weekend) and the 10CR (10 countries in 5 days) the alternate. All fully booked for September, but if you join the Club you can get onto the reserve list.

Usual things that can be an issue are alternators, wheel bearings, water pumps. And a few other odds and ends, but obviously anything can go wrong. However, the vast majority of cars make the trips with no serious issues. It is all about good prep and avoiding the cheap/nasty parts. 

Welcome, Steve.

As Clive said, nice choice of car. I have a Mk3 which has done RBRR five times now with no issues (except the year when it had just been rebuilt and the drive to the start line was more than it had covered in four years... but even then we only had a fan belt and an exhaust hanger fail).

Don't know that I'd bother with the Haynes - get the reprinted BL WSM (same as the PDFs Clive pointed you to) as it's more accurate. There are plenty of other books that you might be tempted by, in the way of general interest, but it depends what you're fascinated by. The "guide to originality" types are great for geek value, or for concours restorers, but totally unnecessary if you plan just to enjoy driving it.

3 hours ago, Sheep said:

Just come in to the ownership of a GT6 mk1 and am new to the forum, classic cars and Triumphs - so hello and thank you for the trove of information on the site.

I have a copy of the workshop manual and have ordered an owner manual (though does a PDF resource exist?).  Any suggestions for what else I should be reading / buying - a Haynes manual, I assume?

If anyone’s ever been on a European road trip in one then it’d be great to know how it went, and what spares one should take!

Based in Warwickshire if anyone ever wants a pint.  

Looking forward to some of the Club events, as work allows. 

Yours,

Steve. 

Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy your car and the events that are available to members 😊