lighting.....

kashmir67

Hello folks i'm a newbie to this forum and i'd like some info please.

I have recently bought a very well looked after Herald 13/60 1970. 

My question is how can i improve the headlights brightness? I have seen various heralds with spot lights installed, does this indicate the vehicle would have an alternator upgrade to power them? If that's not the case and the factory installed dynamo powers both then it this the way to go? 

thanks.

The best thing you can do to improve the headlights is to fit a relay - with new wiring - so that the current can flow properly through the existing bulbs. Sealed beams won't ever be as blinding as modern cars but they can be perfectly adequate if they're working as designed.

Second step, if that doesn't give enough improvement, would be to fit H4 halogen units.

Neither of the above involve any more power drain than when the car was new, so the dynamo should be fine.

BIN THE DYNAMO ! An alternator is FAR more reliable. Years back before aternators became common second hand. I was tormented by garbage dynamos and control boxes. Control boxes so much my local autospark shop called me Mr B90.

Edited by Gt6s

Can't say I ever had any trouble with dynamos. I had one bearing fail and one cooling fan disintegrate, over many years and a good few cars. I've certainly had more faults on alternators - brushes, regulators, diode packs. Admittedly I've had more alternator-equipped cars but I don't think the ratio is as wide as the fault history.

I too have had a cooling fan disintegrate, what a bang! Then odd vibrations. . .

I changed the brushes on the dynamo fitted to my 13/60 a couple of years ago and noticed the manufacture date was a couple of months before that of the car (July 1968). Obviously I have no idea how many times over the 50 years of the dynamo brushes, bearings or whatever have been changed. I don't run power consuming extras but do have a large capacity battery and the dynamo more than copes. 

1 hour ago, kashmir67 said:

that's great folks, i'll go for replacement halogens....

That is what are fitted to my 13/60, 'Cristal' I think they are called. They were fitted as part of work done prior to being imported to France , LHD units in RHD car.

No idea if they are any good, never driven the car in the dark 😎

The equivalent of the MOT inspector who had to check the car out so I could get French paperwork was surprised I had done it rather than use the deflectors or sticky tape modification . . .

39 minutes ago, Rosbif said:

That is what are fitted to my 13/60, 'Cristal' I think they are called. They were fitted as part of work done prior to being imported to France , LHD units in RHD car.

No idea if they are any good, never driven the car in the dark 😎

The equivalent of the MOT inspector who had to check the car out so I could get French paperwork was surprised I had done it rather than use the deflectors or sticky tape modification . . .

I have some crystal lamps on my spitfire. Osram nightbreaker bulbs, and relays. They are excellent, been on this can and were on my previous spitfire. (did loads of night rallies in that one, the new setup replaced the dim original sealed beams)

You mean the H4 LED bulbs?

No clue. Technically they are not legal in a Spitfire (yet) but when I am close to finishing up I may try to fit them and get them approved by the German MOT (TÜV) so others can use them.

My car will have non-standard running gear which mean I have to get TÜV approval for everything else... why not the lights while I am at it?!

For the cars for which they are legal (Up! Citigo etc.) they seem to be a straight drop in replacement. Only issue is you can hear the fan at a standstill sometimes. (I think)

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/03/2022 at 13:04, RobPearce said:

Eugh. Ugly. Totally out of character on a classic. No thanks.

No problem with them. (I have a pair, E marked) Add an interesting look. They are destinctive. Shows an owner prepared to move with the times.

Edited by Gt6s