lighting.....

kashmir67

2 hours ago, ferny said:

I was going to get some LED units a few years ago - the tuoe Beans has.

The cost was the main stopping point along with fear of damage. If one needs replacing you have to buy an expensive pair.

I seriously considered them, like you, but the main stumbling point for me was the look was totally alien to our cars - both lamp colour and the odd lens style. After the UK rules changed fitting the LED bulbs is a no-brainer and has the benefit of allowing spare (conventional bulbs) to be carried to comply with French regulations which require us to carry them.

I use my TR7 as my daily driver all year round, its quick enough for modern traffic. The lights though were a little underwhelming. In went relays, out came the sealed beams, clear lens 7" and a paid of the H4 LED from Classic Car Leds.  It doesn't look original but when i am driving at night the road is fully illuminated and I for me thats a plus over the look every time as safety is non negotiable, (especially with original TR7 brakes!)

Fitting was a bit fiddly the units are air cooled with no fan , I dont worry to much about the space as if the lights are on its most likely dark and the less traffic so i am moving along to aid cooling. The bowl does needed a bit of drilling from memory to fit the plug through.

If i remember tonight I'll try to get a couple of pictures with the LEDs 

15 hours ago, Rosbif said:

So, should I get rid of my 54 year old Triumph and buy a Tesla then? 😁

Would not have the gift of a Tesla. (Well I could sell it) I do not have a problem upgrading lights. Spose you are using the sealed beam candles .

1 hour ago, Howard said:

I seriously considered them, like you, but the main stumbling point for me was the look was totally alien to our cars - both lamp colour and the odd lens style. After the UK rules changed fitting the LED bulbs is a no-brainer and has the benefit of allowing spare (conventional bulbs) to be carried to comply with French regulations which require us to carry them.

Ever see the LED units in a Landy ?  COOL AF. Hard to find something more antiquated than a Landy

5 hours ago, Gt6s said:

Spose you are using the sealed beam candles .

Oh, no. Mind you my car is a RHD and I had the lights changed to be correct for use here in France, had to fit halogen, but to make up for it I don't switch them on . . .

Fitted LEDs to the Spitfire before the 2021 RBRR.

Bought LEDs with a heat sink - no fan.

Everything fitted into the headlamp bowl and no drilling.

Got mine from here after many recommendations - https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/12-volt-collection/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v#shopify-product-reviews

No issues at all on the RBRR despite them being on for long periods at a time.

See the difference in the video.  H4 halogens to LEDs.

Jim.

Edited by McJim