Mirrors

Tam Sinclair

I quite like the chrome/black door mirrors on the Mk IV and 1500, the rectangular ones

The Triumph Sports Six Club - Cars - Triumph Spitfire Mark IV

(Photo from Google, not my car!)

When I replaced mine I got it from James Paddocks : gam213a https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/door-mirror-polished-rh-2 / gma214a https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/door-mirror-polished-lh-11

You can probably get pairs the same/similar cheaper from somewhere on the interwebs?

Welcome to the forum!

13 hours ago, thescrapman said:

The car would not have had door (or wing) mirrors originally, though you may have been able to specify dealer fit ones.

The excellent visibility out of a Spitfire has meant I have never missed them on either of my Spitfires.

I'm with Colin, although not in relation to Spitfires. I have the Surrey option TR4A and the fixed rear screen allows almost 360 deg visibility with a glance over each shoulder.  What a contrast to most moderns. I have never fitted exterior mirrors and never missed them.

Tim

I have a Spitfire 1500 that had TEX original door mirrors fitted when I bought it.  The field of view is not brilliant compared with modern car standards and not much of an adjunct to the inherent good visibility mentioned by Tim and the Scrapman.   At higher speeds of 45 mph plus they vibrate blurring the image making them virtually useless anyway.

I have checked and tightened the fixings without any improvement but notice that the door panels flex when gentle force is applied to the wing mirror so surmise that the problem is due to the vibration of the door panel (which is fitted with the appropriate baffle).  I have considered making a larger internal fitting plate but really CBA - would rather spend the time driving the car and looking over my shoulder when necessary.

Conversely, I really like having door mirrors. And have them on all 3 Triumphs. 

I guess it is just what you are used to. But I like the Tex mirrors, no problems with vibration, and I think there may be a "wide angle" mirror available? Just beware the plastic fixings, don't overtighten as they snap. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kevin R said:

Have you tried driving at 46mph Clive ? 😯😯😯 😂

Only momentarily🙂

Unless the limit is 46mph, why would I? Saying that, the car has developed a vibration, but it only comes in around 90, and still there at 3 figures. Found this at Silverstone last week. And yes, I was still using mirrors when on the track, there were a few very quick cars there. Including a V8 TR4.

mirror2.thumb.jpeg.b55c87439945babac7b24028a418a6bd.jpeg

I have a set of chrome racing style bullet mirrors mounted on the doors of my Mk1 GT6.    Although they are not the best for clear, wide rear visibity, they do look good.  Not sure why the photo has uploaded hugely, sorry. 

I do have a spare pair, new and unused, that I would sell if you decided to go down that route.

On 31/03/2022 at 14:10, Clive said:

Conversely, I really like having door mirrors. And have them on all 3 Triumphs. 

I guess it is just what you are used to. But I like the Tex mirrors, no problems with vibration, and I think there may be a "wide angle" mirror available? Just beware the plastic fixings, don't overtighten as they snap. 

I have the Tex mirrors with the convex (aka wide angle) mirrors which make the world of difference to seeing whats behind you. Driving with the original flat mirrors was a nightmare as I couldn't see anything! Tex certainly make rectangular convex mirrors, and they also list convex round mirror heads, but not as a complete assembly. It may be necessary to call them to find out more.

• Thanks 1

• Clive changed the title to Mirrors

I've got the bullet mirrors on my Spitfire doors, and recently swapped from flat to convex glass. Made a big difference - they were pretty useless before but now pretty good. My 1300fwd doesn't have door or wing mirrors and I do miss them when driving it. Especially the driver's side. 

2 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

How hard was the swap? Did you just glue the convex over the flat?

Piece of cake, the glass is held in by spring pressure with a plastic moulding around the edge. Push the glass in slightly, free it from the plastic moulding and remove. 

However I should point out, I bought the whole bullet mirror assemblies not just convex glass on its own, and only swapped the glass over so I could rust-proof inside the new bullet brackets before fitting them (existing ones are starting to rust internally). Except now i've forgotten where they are and it doesn't seem particularly urgent.

I`m with Colin...and against Mikey B...the bullets are useless...but look pretty

The cars were never fitted with door wing until late 70s  

If its efficiency of being able to see behind...I, in 1973 and just recently on a total rebuild ,fitted a wide angle rear view mirror

Its wider, not by much, but allows full ,rear wing to rear wing visibility. I can see overtakers coming up behind and I can see whether I have knocked someone down on a pavement...and at £12.00 its cheaper than the rest

No messing with drilling or bolting 

Mirror.webp

Edited by Velocita Rosso