Oil leaking at the back of the 1500 sump.

clayps

Hi, I've got the engine upside down on the stand and have removed the sump. Where the alloy oil seal housing meets the block, there is a pronounced step of maybe half a mm. This is where the gasket is not sealing, any ideas why or what I've done wrong? How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Calvin. 

As above, check the seal housing poistion in relation to the crank. Instructions are in the workshop manual. And I think are the same for scroll or rubber seals.

If that is all ok, you are left with a couble of choices. If the ali block is proud, that could be filed flat. But not easy at home. The simpler solution would be to use some sealant as used on modern engines, apply a small bead to sump and the engine, pop a new gasket between and do up all the bolts lightly. Allow to go off, then nip them up.

I can thoroughly recommend the Victor Reinz sealant, fantastic stuff. 

On 12/04/2022 at 06:26, Clive said:

As above, check the seal housing poistion in relation to the crank. Instructions are in the workshop manual. And I think are the same for scroll or rubber seals.

If that is all ok, you are left with a couble of choices. If the ali block is proud, that could be filed flat. But not easy at home. The simpler solution would be to use some sealant as used on modern engines, apply a small bead to sump and the engine, pop a new gasket between and do up all the bolts lightly. Allow to go off, then nip them up.

I can thoroughly recommend the Victor Reinz sealant, fantastic stuff. 

Thanks Clive, we have reset everything and put a new oil seal in, the pld one was very loose on the crank, despite being relatively unused.

I'll seal everything up when I've finished repainting the sump.

On 11/04/2022 at 19:36, glang said:

I thought the seal housing has to be centred on the crank with a tool or feeler gauge and that automatically makes it pretty level with the sump surface....

I have no idea but you may have guided my next move with it so thank you.

Although the manual says that I think I put my Vitesse seal plate back in just using the seal to centre it and then tightened up the bolts carefully. If you do that and its still protrudes lower than the block I agree with Clive that the seal plate will need some metal removing...