bleeding brakes

kwmeakins

after only 35 years of ownership of my spit 1500 i have done everything you can do to maintain and sort out the breaks on this car .i know them inside out and upside down .today i put new rear flexi break pipes on, the originals were looking a bit tired after 40 years .i have now spent over 2 hrs trying to bleed the system with no success i just get bubbles galore for ever and ever .having never had this problem before i need some advise as to probable cause and any ideas on how to rectify this. thanks 

I always start by adjusting the brakes right off and pushing the pistons in as far as they will go, with the nipple open, to push as much air as possible out of the cylinders before bleeding fluid through the system.  Also, since the hydraulic circuit branches out at various points at T-pieces etc, if one brake is bled continuously, air may be drawn in to that line from the adjoining lines.  Therefore it is usually necessary to bleed each brake in sequence and then repeat.  Then go through the process again...

24 minutes ago, shenderson said:

I always start by adjusting the brakes right off and pushing the pistons in as far as they will go, with the nipple open, to push as much air as possible out of the cylinders before bleeding fluid through the system.  Also, since the hydraulic circuit branches out at various points at T-pieces etc, if one brake is bled continuously, air may be drawn in to that line from the adjoining lines.  Therefore it is usually necessary to bleed each brake in sequence and then repeat.  Then go through the process again...

I do the oppsite if I am having difficulty with bleeding. I wind the brake adjusters out. Actually, that may force the wheel cylinder pistons in? Whatever it does, I think having no available movement car help.

The foolproof method is to have a (preferably) glamourous assistant working the break pedal while I open/close te bleed nipple so no air can be drawn in. A dollop of rubber grease around the nipple should do the same job.

Or use a vacuum bleeder? A big syringe would do it.

Recently had to swap a clutch slave on our MX5. That was a tricky little bugger, and needed manual open/closing of the nipple to bleed it. Clutch master on that used all plastic internals, the OEM seal kit came pre assembled and initially I thought it was a mock-up or suchlike, but no, removing the original that was exactly the same. Made me wonder about the brake master....

17 hours ago, RobPearce said:

What is your bleeding method? Hose in a jam jar? Plugged hose with a slit? Fancy valve thing? Eezybleed? Skilled assistant?

3 minutes ago, Clive said:

I do the oppsite if I am having difficulty with bleeding. I wind the brake adjusters out. Actually, that may force the wheel cylinder pistons in? Whatever it does, I think having no available movement car help.

The foolproof method is to have a (preferably) glamourous assistant working the break pedal while I open/close te bleed nipple so no air can be drawn in. A dollop of rubber grease around the nipple should do the same job.

Or use a vacuum bleeder? A big syringe would do it.

Recently had to swap a clutch slave on our MX5. That was a tricky little bugger, and needed manual open/closing of the nipple to bleed it. Clutch master on that used all plastic internals, the OEM seal kit came pre assembled and initially I thought it was a mock-up or suchlike, but no, removing the original that was exactly the same. Made me wonder about the brake master....

17 hours ago, RobPearce said:

What is your bleeding method? Hose in a jam jar? Plugged hose with a slit? Fancy valve thing? Eezybleed? Skilled assistant?

jam jar and a length of 2x1to operate peddle

Re Brake bleeding after spending more hrs trying once more to bleed brakes this time with my son on peddle operation  still no success .further developments are that when the peddle is released bubbles appear in the m c and even after several pumps the fluid level does not go down in the m c  .all thoughts welcome. ta.

Yes if the transfer port at the bottom of the mc reservoir were blocked then fluid wouldnt flow into the piston chamber and you would just pump air. On releasing the pedal air must be drawn in somewhere, possibly the bleed nipple thread....

1 hour ago, kwmeakins said:

Re Brake bleeding after spending more hrs trying once more to bleed brakes this time with my son on peddle operation  still no success .further developments are that when the peddle is released bubbles appear in the m c and even after several pumps the fluid level does not go down in the m c  .all thoughts welcome. ta.

Had a similar issue on my Dolomite clutch. I had to pump the pedal repeatedly very quickly to get the clutch to work. All the time I was getting masses of air bubbles circulating in the master.

Turned out to be the seals in the master has become U/S over time pulling air in, but the clutch initially failed very quickly. I had replaced the seals in the slave a couple of weeks before so that probably triggered the seals in the master failing. I would have done the seals in both at the same time but didn't have the master seals 'in stock'.

Edited by standardthread
forgot something

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2022 at 15:36, kwmeakins said:

after only 35 years of ownership of my spit 1500 i have done everything you can do to maintain and sort out the breaks on this car .i know them inside out and upside down .today i put new rear flexi break pipes on, the originals were looking a bit tired after 40 years .i have now spent over 2 hrs trying to bleed the system with no success i just get bubbles galore for ever and ever .having never had this problem before i need some advise as to probable cause and any ideas on how to rectify this. thanks 

If there are no obvious leaks on the system, try loosening the cap on the master r cylinder, don’t fully remove it,  then use a piece of wood to hold the pedal down by wedging it against the seat, and leave it overnight.  This should force the air out of the system.

an old trick passed on by a wise old mechanic