Passport expiry....

Clive

Since passports  have an expiry date just ten years from the issue date, this story lacks detail.

But Mrs.Gurd somehow had nine months added to her passport duration, when it would have expired in May this year.    It seems that Portugal don't recognise extensions.

So, if your passport hasn't been extended, no worries, mate.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Since passports  have an expiry date just ten years from the issue date, this story lacks detail.

But Mrs.Gurd somehow had nine months added to her passport duration, when it would have expired in May this year.    It seems that Portugal don't recognise extensions.

So, if your passport hasn't been extended, no worries, mate.

So now you k

now...

I didn't previously know that some passports are issued for more than 10 years. But worth checking. I wonder if it is like the MoT, they add the extra time up to a month. The moral of teh story is to carefully check entry requirements, and assume nothing.

It only happens when you renew your passport before its actually expired. I had to do this some years ago for a log forgotten reason, but ended up with a passport valid for 10years 6 months - its only the EU that gets awkward about the passport being valid for more than 10 years as far as I recall.