is everyone ready?

30 minutes ago, Velocita Rosso said:

Sam...start with the needle valves first, clean/ unstick/replace.....Thats the only time my carbs have overflowed. Replaced needle valves and no problem....oh and the float chamber gaskets

It's about the only time I wish it was on SUs, the amount of FAFF getting to the floats/needle valves on the Strombergs VS the SUs.
Oh and the valves aren't cheap on the 'bergs either.

42 minutes ago, PeteStupps said:

That's a pain, can you not get a short spanner in on the bottom nuts? I have to take the SUs and heatshield off to get to all the manifold nuts.

How old are your floats? On the FWD my single stromberg abruptly started overflowing after being off the road for 9 months, turned out to be leaky float.

Very very tight access on all the nuts holding them to the manifold. On the car almost no chance of getting them out. 
image.thumb.png.62c837244df31407381ca5667ce846e3.png

Floats were new when James rebuilt the carbs shortly before I bought it - referring back looks like Jul 2017 (Carb Rebuild)

I should probably add that the over-flow is an intermittent problem. When I switched off and tapped the rear carb, it stopped. (for now)

Edited by yorkshire_spam

Well, my spit has not moved an inch since 10CR in 2019. Perhaps not the best starting point.

However, I have fitted new delco distributor - now Saltdirk can get the distributor back, which he so kindly lend me 3 years ago, when my distributor died unexpectedly somewhere in the alps.

The 1.5" SU's have been farmed out for overhaul.

I have fitted a new less loud exhaust. Wheelbarrow exhaust are a pain on 10CR.

New (older) seats have been fitted.

Oilcooler fitted

New softtop fitted. The old one was leaking badly

Perhaps I will be able to wind the sidewindows up and down. I am fitting the GT6 windows to the car with quarterlights.

Brakes needs servicing 

and finally I need to replace all fuellines.

That should be abouit it. 

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Velocita Rosso said:

Not in all cases, mine is very quiet and easy on the ear, even on long runs. The single skinned tails are louder than the double skinned ,rolled ends type

Thats what I said 10 years ago 🙂

The exhaust is probably worn out. Anbd a 1300 screamer with raised comperesion and 1.5SU perhaps adds to the booming resonnance.

Probably also depend on the rest of the setup. Mine were double skinne with rolled ends. Lack of silencer in the pipe between manifold (tubular) and the rear silencers probably added to the noise. Hopefully the addition af a silencer in the mid pipe along with a newer single exhaust will be less intolerable. 

See you in France 

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Nothing more I could do to the car to ensure mechanically OK. The only thing left to do is check all the e paperwork eg insurance, is sufficient. When breaking down on the 2015 run, I was eventually told "you can have one or the other....recovery or hire hire car...not both"....also...."can`t recover your car because its on three wheels" (referring to snapped half shaft not allowing it to be loaded onto  a recovery       vehicle😲) ....a faux pas by insurers then allowed expenses to go back and repair/fix/collect. May have to rethink recovery additional`s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

I hope you've all applied for your ICMV booklets from the DVLA (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-an-international-certificate-for-motor-vehicles-icmv), especially if you're travelling through Liechtenstein.

Cor, never heard of that one before, is it new? Wonder if I should have had one on previous occasions when I've driven across Liechtenstein.

2 hours ago, Rubce said:

Today I've been chatting to the chap at the DVLA who issues the ICMV. His advise is get your application in sooner rather than later. He is a one man band within the DVLA.

Regards 

Bruce

Only use this form if you:

• are taking your vehicle out of the country for 12 months or less to Liechtenstein, Mexico or Somalia
  • have a V5C for the vehicle in your name from DVLA
  • are the vehicle keeper

There’s no fee for the ICMV.

I dont think i will rush over this

54 minutes ago, Rubce said:

The ICMV is mentioned in the handy hints document which is how I found out about it.

Ah, I must have missed it when I read through.

Now found it after reading the section on Lichenstein, it is a bit tucked away. Maybe worth "promoting" to the required documents bit at the beginning?

• Like 1

Morning! 
prep on schedule, 

GT6- I’ll change oil/filter ,plugs, grease grease points & repack wheel bearings .

Dolomite- the same as GT6,also if I find the time I’d like to get it in the air at an exhaust place and see if they can get the system a bit ‘higher up’. The 1500 system always looks like it needs lifting when viewed, not a great design! 

Lichtenstein ?!  Oh yes, blink and you’ll miss it 😆

• Like 2

European Low emission zones.

Act now if you think this will affect you. Reading the handy hints for the 10CR on Thursday I became alarmed by the LEZs operating in Europe that I was not aware of and the fact we go on a two week European tour next Friday for our family summer holiday. On investigation unlike the UK zones that you can pay for on the day of entering the European ones work on a basis of having a certificate to take your car in and there for have to applied for before entering. In most cases this has to be done online providing evidence that you car meets the regs again another difference unlike the UK where you are effectively paying to take a high emissions  car in to a LEZ in Europe if you car is a high emission car then you simply can not take it in. In most cases historic are exempt but still need the certificate. This can take up to two weeks to arrive so get them sorted now rather than later. I am now sitting here fingers crossed mine turn up in time though I have been informed Europe don't use AMPR to fine drivers but a manual process of stopping drivers. Also I have been told that just going to a garage in Germany to get you certificate as mentioned in the handy hints is not as simple as it sounds with a friend who recently having to go to 5 different garages before he found one that would do it. 

Cheers 

Mark

54 minutes ago, Rutty said:

most cases historic are exempt but still need the certificate. 

In France there is no certificate for classics,yet. Classics are exempt from these restrictions in all the zones that exist at present I believe. However on days when pollution levels are particularly high they are banned just like other cars in the higher pollution categories.