is everyone ready?

On 08/08/2022 at 19:15, Don Cook said:

Out: on the Sunday 4 Sept 11pm ferry from Harwich arrives 8am Monday 5Sept

Return: Sunday 11 Sep 10pm

What route are you taking?

We will be passing through Maastricht between 12:00 and 13:00 on the Monday, heading for the start

Engine and gearbox bolted in, the overdrive even fitted…

Obviously I now have to connect up the exhaust, fit the new fuel system, oil cooler, prop shaft, radiator and wire it all in…

Before I do the rest of the 2000 things need to be done before the 10CR 🤣😂🤣C8F361F6-2EB2-4AC8-877E-9C172E39D23B.thumb.jpeg.0dc76f80d59b7a433d25fa43cc987694.jpeg0F58B844-EBC4-4F09-AC45-39D498E51F3F.thumb.jpeg.3c8ded6957162c2c8b3525c305c2eac3.jpeg

A ca. 3200km round trip that you will all be doing sounds quite a challenge - wish everyone the best of luck and enjoyment. 

Having, with much helpful advice from Club members hier, got my Triumph Herald running happily with no unpleasant noises, we will be travelling down to Italy leaving central Germany just about the time when you all will have completed the run. Our trip, I know from before is 1000 km there and back and with trips along the via Aurelia in the Costa del Fiore, which I am especailly looking forward to. For the remaining few days at the beginning October we will then travel to a friends house near to Sarzana in the Toskana. Altogether this will also be about 3200km at the end of it, if the car completes the trip. My breakdown premium to the ADAC is fully paid in, just in case. 

What essential spares do you all bring with you?

30 minutes ago, Antonnick said:

A ca. 3200km round trip that you will all be doing sounds quite a challenge - wish everyone the best of luck and enjoyment. 

Having, with much helpful advice from Club members hier, got my Triumph Herald running happily with no unpleasant noises, we will be travelling down to Italy leaving central Germany just about the time when you all will have completed the run. Our trip, I know from before is 1000 km there and back and with trips along the via Aurelia in the Costa del Fiore, which I am especailly looking forward to. For the remaining few days at the beginning October we will then travel to a friends house near to Sarzana in the Toskana. Altogether this will also be about 3200km at the end of it, if the car completes the trip. My breakdown premium to the ADAC is fully paid in, just in case. 

I know that route very well all the way down to Grosseto...and have Italian family friends in Cecina, south of Livorno. Spares taken on the 10CR are related to the different cars taking part, from distributor spares,plugs, wheel bearings...even half shafts and brakes.....Its a difficult question ,dependant on mechanical knowledge and ability to repair on the side of the road. Known guys even changing clutches on the side of the road.... 

56 minutes ago, Antonnick said:

I carry a small but well equipped tool kit. Plus hammer, small hacksaw, scissor jack and a folding axle stand.

General stuff, a selection of nuts/bolts/electrical connectors/washers

Gaffa tape, cable ties, superglue, epoxy, threadlok, wire. Oil, sachet of grease, brake fluid and water. Bulbs.

1 front wheelbearing, fan belt, alternator, front brake pads. Seal kit for master cylinders.

It doesn't take a lot of space. 

All I have needed has been a new electric fan (but survived without a fan for the trip) and somebody had my grease after they melted theirs out the front wheelg-bearings down Stelvio. Used a few odd nuts/bolts too.

2 hours ago, Velocita Rosso said:

I know that route very well all the way down to Grosseto...and have Italian family friends in Cecina, south of Livorno. Spares taken on the 10CR are related to the different cars taking part, from distributor spares,plugs, wheel bearings...even half shafts and brakes.....Its a difficult question ,dependant on mechanical knowledge and ability to repair on the side of the road. Known guys even changing clutches on the side of the road.... 

that’s me and Andy f

• Like 2

On 08/08/2022 at 22:26, mpbarrett said:

10CR and broken diffs are a bit of a problem for me.....
My old 2.5L GT6 with a very broken diff somewhere very high in France in 2013. 

mike

Picture 130.jpg

Picture 133.jpg

Picture 129.jpg

Yep that happened right in front us, just before heading to the abandoned village.....frightened me silly on that summit bend!

Edited by Velocita Rosso

2 hours ago, Velocita Rosso said:

Yep that happened right in front us, just before heading to the abandoned village.....frightened me silly on that summit bend!

And me and Libby, diff jammed completely couldn't move the car and the car just stopped! And I didnt like the vultures circling while we waited for a recovery truck.  And my warning triangle got hit, runover and destroyed by a German driving an old Golf.....
Anyway another  3.63 diff is in the car, complete with new set of bearings and NOS crown and pinion. I have done 20 miles with it and sounds perfect... Will get some miles on the car over the next few days and try to break it :).

BTW anyone using EFI? I have a MS3 system and have added a second pressure transducer for atmospheric correction. Would be interested to see how others have set it up  for correction. Will take the laptop with me 🙂

cheers

Mike

30 minutes ago, mpbarrett said:

And me and Libby, diff jammed completely couldn't move the car and the car just stopped! And I didnt like the vultures circling while we waited for a recovery truck.  And my warning triangle got hit, runover and destroyed by a German driving an old Golf.....
Anyway another  3.63 diff is in the car, complete with new set of bearings and NOS crown and pinion. I have done 20 miles with it and sounds perfect... Will get some miles on the car over the next few days and try to break it :).

BTW anyone using EFI? I have a MS3 system and have added a second pressure transducer for atmospheric correction. Would be interested to see how others have set it up  for correction. Will take the laptop with me 🙂

cheers

Mike

Me. But I just plugged in the sensor and it seemed to work with no calibration, which really confused me. It was the suggested sensor, so I guess it was already set up?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Clive said:

so I guess it was already set up?

Back in the tail end of last century, I did quite a lot of development work for Rover on adding altitude compensation to their MEMS EFI system. After a fair bit of development down a dead end, I hit on a theory which needed a lot less work, and turned out to be exactly right. Also, it's the same one used by a number of other ECUs. It needs no setting up other than a few thresholds for using the main MAP sensor to measure BAP if you don't have a second sensor.

Here`s a good one......coming from the North we will be going over the Dartford crossing,with two cars

Making a payment to DVLA for 2 cars 2 journeys......paid for one car, then filling out the detail for the second .......tried four times and it would not allow the payment....Payment decline ` Duplicate application`

now need to start again and use someone else`s debit card

So.....you cannot pay for someone else`s car, once you have paid for one by debit card 

38 minutes ago, Velocita Rosso said:

Here`s a good one......coming from the North we will be going over the Dartford crossing,with two cars

Making a payment to DVLA for 2 cars 2 journeys......paid for one car, then filling out the detail for the second .......tried four times and it would not allow the payment....Payment decline ` Duplicate application`

So.....you cannot pay for someone else`s car, once you have paid for one by debit card 

Simple solution is to set an account up and have as many cars as you like on it. And it is a bit cheaper....

On 15/08/2022 at 23:01, mpbarrett said:

I did this to my MS2 back in 2009. Just enabled it and left it on default settings. Not sure it’s perfect but certainly good enough….

4 hours ago, Velocita Rosso said:

H Mike

Use the Dartford crossing between 10pm and 6am and its FREE😉