Led Headlights

Martins Stag

Some interesting info on here. I think the challenge is that most LED bulbs are probably made in China now and the challenge is to tell the good from the bad and the fake... I think the Night Eyes has my vote so far. It would be good if they did them in warm white though.... 

Thanks for all the comments

Martin

It doesn’t make any sense that LEDs would be hotter than halogens.

They use less watts and are more efficient.

The heatsinks on them are to spread out the heat rather than “cool” as they are far more sensitive to heat.

9 hours ago, James said:

The heatsinks on them are to spread out the heat rather than “cool”

No, the heatsinks are absolutely there to cool them! Of course they're not as hot as halogens - so you don't need to worry about melting anything around them like harness connectors - but they're far more sensitive. They need to stay cold, or at least only warm. The filament of a halogen bulb reaches 3000deg (yes, really, three thousand degrees celsius!) while an LED will fail terminally at less than 100 (that's one hundred). So even with a tiny fraction of the power being pumped in, they need a damned sight more cooling to keep them good.

• 1 month later...

Very clear demonstration of the LED illumination advantage Jim. When you switched the lights on it was also obvious how much more quickly the LED bulb illuminated compared to the incandescent filament type. When you also take into account the significant power saving WNTL? I was just surprised though that as a Scot you did not succumb to the Nighteyes!

Tim

Not yet.

Doesn't really get dark up here till about midnight, even then there's still a bit of light in the sky.

Beam cut off looked good against the garage door though.

With luck, I won't have put them in upside down.

Jim.

• 2 months later...

After reading this thread I decided to upgrade my Osram night breaker on my Spit 1500 to Nighteye LED and it’s a major improvement on dipped where I felt the nightbreakers were not strong. On full beam it really lights up the road.

The only thing is that I had to leave off the rubber (the piece I’m holding on the photo) at the back of the Headlight lens for it to fit in the headlight cowl. You can see before and after.

Does anyone think that will cause a problem? 

The light is protected from the road by a plastic cowl fitted to the bonnet.

063EAE80-DA94-4073-B9BD-20F4AE3AA705.jpeg

8D4CAA15-6A89-4A7E-A264-1EA2F125CB5E.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulB said:

The only thing is that I had to leave off the rubber (the piece I’m holding on the photo) at the back of the Headlight lens for it to fit in the headlight cowl. You can see before and after.

Does anyone think that will cause a problem? 

Paul,

I had to do that too.

Hasn't caused any problems at all.

Jim.

• Like 1

Glad you like the Nighteyes Paul, I am still delightred with them on the 4A. They do extend further into the headamp bowl than conventional H4 halogen bulbs but I managed to fit mine complete with the rubber covers by a bit of jiggling around. Maybe my covers are  a bit less bulky than those you depict.

Tim