Introduction of E10 petrol

Pete Arnold

I wonder how many of you are aware of the FBHVC statement dated 26th February.

Following extensive consultation the Department for Transport has announced that they will legislate to introduce E10 petrol as the standard 95 octane petrol grade by 1 September 2021.

They will also require that higher octane 97+, to be designated ‘Protection’ grade, shall remain E5 to provide protection for older vehicles.

The full FBHVC statement can be read at 

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/news/article/fbhvc-clarifies-the-introduction-of-e10-petrol-for-historic-vehicle-owners

We have had that since 2011 here. I had to sell my Skoda Felicia because its motor couldn't handle E10 and I wanted to get as much money as I could for it.

It was particularly problematic for cars with aluminum parts in the engine.

It has only just replaced E5 as the "super" grade of fuel.

I was wondering just this morning about what one would have to do to get cars like ours to run on high-ethanol fuel (E85 has been used in Brazil for decades).

My guess is even if it could be made to work, the loss in horsepower could be a big problem.

My Skoda Roomster ran fine on E10. E10 has been available here for ages.

E85 is also available, less than 1/2 the price of the real stuff.

A friend had a Dacia Duster that could run on it from standard or any mix of the 3 'E's. Another friend had a black box fitted to his old Renault Megane convertible, no problems. He is now looking to sell it because it won't meet the restrictions being introduced in Paris & he spends a lot of time there - family visits.

The last time I enquired (maybe 2 years ago) the Esso Synergy+ fuel in my area was Ethanol free.

I was told Shell V-Power contained 5% Ethanol

I always try and use Esso Synergy+ Fuel in my classic when I can.

I have had trouble in the Past with seals degrading in the Metering Unit of my Tr.

There is no doubt Ethanol causes problems with certain components in fuel systems, I hope everyone's fitted good quality branded R9 or R14 fuel hoses by now?