I big thank you

First time doing the Coast 2 Coast unfortunately, engine mounts decided to call it a day , when along came the nights in shinning amour in the name of Dav and John from East Kent , sorry plus 2 other guys who I’ve forgotten there name I think one was called Don , any way , Dav the miracle man just so happened to have engine mounts in his boot , yeh in his boot , 3 hours later the darkness and heavy rain stop the the final bolt going in , these guys are my heroes, not only did they not give up against all odds and stubborn bolt just would not go in , but sacrifice there chance of completing the event , in a world what’s been turned upside down in the last year , this to me is what sums up the best in us , these guys did this not for reward ,but just to help a fellow member in a fix , I cannot thank them enough , so a massive thanks again . Regards Paul 

FFBF6700-9D13-46EE-8943-AD228CB187E7.jpeg

77535F09-660E-49D3-8631-88AF50380B9A.jpeg

• Like 8

For those in peril on the roads....

That's magnificent.  Paul it was Dave Kirk, John Talbot, Don Cook and Ian Pearce that helped you.  Dave did actually finish and Don gets an honoury finish. Well done guys.  Paul I hope you made it home safely before you ran out of dog food. We have never had that before as a reason not to finish. 

I am concerned how close that passing truck was, it looks like you are doing this beside the road or had you been able to find a safer place?

I hope you are up for it next year!

Chris  

36 minutes ago, Chriss said:

Dave did actually finish and Don gets an honoury finish.

Hi,

Ian and myself didn't actually finish - we just went back to the finish!!!!

We still had a great time , meeting up with Don and John the evening before then having a look around Yorkshire on the Saturday daytime.

It was great to catch up with old friends but i would of preferred to meet Paul  and Dorota in different circumstances.

there was a cattle grid in the road adjacent to us so the traffic was slowing but i did jump a few times with the noise of traffic crossing it!

Ps Its not a good idea trying to catch some sleep next to a Lighthouse that sounds it's horn every two minutes!

Nice photos!!!!

Massive thank you's to Chris and all for making this event happen - really appreciated.

As a fellow first time entrant can I also thank Chris & the team for a great event & route. We had a great time in the fog, torrential rain and finally sea mist, but wow, some fabulous roads - when we could see them. We are definitely up for next year.

On another note I have today spoken to the team in the Vitesse that unfortunately left the road. They are both home, slightly damaged but nothing too serious. Current thinking is that the car is a write-off but in the words of the driver it did its job & saved us, dying in a good cause.

Cheers,

Allan

Hi Dave

According to the rules, you were at the finish, the route is advisory and you are allowed to get from the start to the finish as you wish.  You finished! Well done and thank you.

Hi Allan

Thanks for the update. I'll phone them later today.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trollie4a said:

On another note I have today spoken to the team in the Vitesse that unfortunately left the road. They are both home, slightly damaged but nothing too serious. Current thinking is that the car is a write-off but in the words of the driver it did its job & saved us, dying in a good cause.

Cheers,

Allan

Really glad to hear they are OK as the car looked an absoloute mess.

Howard

Yes the car was a right mess, sadly I dont think it will straighten. The near side suspension had pressed back right into the bulk head.

Pleased they are all OK. 

My TR7 decided it didnt like clutch fluid and it ran dry coming down the yorkshire dales after the stop.  Stupidly I hadnt brought any any so I headed for the M6 and home .  Clutch hydraulic seals are getting completely replaced now.

The car though performed ok no water loss after a top up at the start, which i put down to just changing the water pump prior to the event and an air lock working out.  Generally on the A and B road we were ok although on the Motorway I kept losing power if i went over 70. I think this was down to petrol as I have an Air fuel meter which went very lean at the time it was happening. Its a new fuel pump too so may be a vapour lock or the pump cant keep up with the demand at that speed. Who knows  need an electric pump for the EFI conversion this summer so I may put the wiring and LP pump in in preparation.

Matt, if you still have a mechanical pump fitted it probably cannot supply enough fuel pressure.  That's may be why you are lean.  You will need around 2.5 - 3 Bar fuel pressure.

But it may be another government Covid measure to limit drivers and passengers from breathing in too much infected air.  Do you wear the obligatory MSUK air filter when driving?

Or am I hallucinating and seeing Covid restrictions in everything I do? ......mmmm touched the keyboard must wash hands.

2 hours ago, Chriss said:

Matt, if you still have a mechanical pump fitted it probably cannot supply enough fuel pressure.

Although my Vitesse had exactly the opposite - I'd fitted an electric pump since I didn't have the correct original pump when I replaced the engine and it turned out that it couldn't deliver enough fuel for anything over 60mph. Fitting an original glass bowl mechanical pump sorted it.

Certainly once Matt has done the EFI conversion he will need an electric pump for 2.5 Bar but I was under the impression he hadn't yet done that?

3 hours ago, Chriss said:

... if you still have a mechanical pump fitted it probably cannot supply enough fuel pressure ... 

My DHC runs a generic mechanical fuel pump that has a very low working pressure (only 1,0 psi), but still delivers more than enough fuel to the carburettors!

2014-05-06_02 Wales Tour beurt.jpg

7 hours ago, Chriss said:

Hi Dave

According to the rules, you were at the finish, the route is advisory and you are allowed to get from the start to the finish as you wish.  You finished! Well done and thank you.

Hi Allan

Thanks for the update. I'll phone them later today.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks,

Dave.

Echo the big thank you to everyone involved and especially to Chris. We had a great time despite the weather though I did rather enjoy the trash up Hertside pass in the torrential rain. Some great roads and the Vitesse despite my best efforts to vandalise the radiator two days before the rally never missed a beat. We even achieved 34mpg over the total of 866 mile door to door and with out even trying to drive economically.

Mark  

1 hour ago, Beans said:

My DHC runs a generic mechanical fuel pump that has a very low working pressure (only 1,0 psi), but still delivers more than enough fuel to the carburettors!

Beans thats fuel pump i have however i have a 4 branch manifold , K&N panel filter and the uprated BAL needles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt306 said:

Beans thats fuel pump i have however i have a 4 branch manifold , K&N panel filter and the uprated BAL needles.

The DHC's engine has some more work done including fast road cam, slimmer valves, inlet trumpets and cool air feed with K&N filters. And no problems so far with this pump.

Edited by Beans

11 hours ago, Matt306 said:

That doesn't matter. Carbs only ever need about 1 bar pressure, if that. They do need sufficient flow to cover the engine's needs but that's roughly proportional to the horsepower you're actually using, not what you have available. A tuned engine (if done right) needs no more fuel at a steady 70mph than a standard one.

• Like 1

Problems with fuel delivery - I've had 2 serious issues both caused by the same type of problem. Dried out/shrunk seals. I had it once in the "lid" of the mechanical fuel pump on the 1850 Dolomite and once with the inline filter on the Spitfire. 

The Spitfire simply wouldn't start as the shrinkage was so bad the pump just pulled air. With the Dolomite it manifested itself as fuel starvation at high load, clearly the pump was able to push some fuel, just not enough as it drew more and more air at higher RPM/Load.

hmm.... The fuel tank and sender is new, the pipe work is new as is fuel pump and carbs rebuilt with Grosser float valve. The pipe is 1/4 the only slight problem i can see is the start of a kink at a bend in the pipe but nothing huge and not enough to stop high revving on the lanes and b roads.

Thank you for a great run, the foggy bits were scary as was seeing the crash glad to hear no serious injuries.  I definitely  need better lamps in the GT6 I don't think I have ever had it out in the dark . Doing the run mid summer good idea to minimise the dark hours. Apart from the sticking rear brake  cylinder swap on friday (thank god for local motor factors who got one same day) we had no mechanicals at all and she ran really well.

Co driver before and after pics

IMG_20210704_115835_359.jpg

IMG_20210704_115835_438.jpg

• Like 4