Dipped in green glass

Nick Moore

• 1 month later...

A parcel arrived today from Conversion Components in New Zealand with a bellhousing to mate a Supra gearbox to a Triumph 6. It also contains the various  clutch components. Now I just need to find a Supra box in good condition, build my engine and stick them in the car.

Oh yes, the car. Joe the painter rang today and announced that she'll be ready Friday. Yay, delivered September 2010, ready February 2012. Fortunately he does not charge by the hour  

So now I just have to rebuild the Herald's back axle so that I can get it out of the garage before the Mallard Missile arrives.

• 1 month later...

Yay, I've finally managed to book a covered truck to bring my GT6 south to Brisbane. (To recap - I used to live up north, but moved while the car was at the body shop). It'll be picked up on Thursday and the movers plan to deliver it on Saturday 24th. The alternative was to drive up and trailer it back, but I didn't fancy a 1966km round trip in a weekend, and Joe didn't want it riding on a trailer where his exquisite paint would be subject to stone chips, exhaust stains and road muck.

One week to go, one week to go...(dance)

Quoted from Anthony
Pictures or it didn't happen 😉

Some pictures on t'blog. I finished late last night so didn't bother taking photos of the carpet or tangle-of-snakes wiring loom. And when I started working on the door, I developed a sudden reluctance to bolt shiny parts on to the shiny shell with manky old bolts, even if no one will see. Time to buy shiny new ones. 🙂

The GT6’s interior has started going in. Not in any particular order, mostly as I pull parts out of boxes and figure out where they go. Insulation pads on the floor, carpets, seat runners, wiring loom, door fittings and some of the lights - easy stuff so far.

One question - what were the A pillars covered with? Was it headlining fabric (like the B pillars), black vinyl or trim-colour vinyl? John Thomason's book isn't helpful as the interior photos are all black and white, and most of the cars appear to have had black trim anyway. There are cars with trim-coloured A pillars on the internet, but I can't tell if they're original.

I haven't had this much fun since I took it apart!

Quoted from Nick Moore

One question - what were the A pillars covered with?

Thin, black, ungrained vinyl glued to the A-pillar.  Semi-glossy or flat.  The headlining's edge is on top.

Is all the wiring run through the cabin already?  Are all the little rubber plugs in place?

Quoted from rotoflex
Thin, black, ungrained vinyl glued to the A-pillar.  Semi-glossy or flat.  The headlining's edge is on top.

Is all the wiring run through the cabin already?  Are all the little rubber plugs in place?

Thanks Bill. I'll start looking for some vinyl. The wiring loom's been laid down, including the branch to the seat sensors and seatbelt latches. The only bit that hasn't been installed is the section running to the roof light and rear window heater. The floor grommets are in place. Were there any in the sills?

Quoted from Nick Moore
The floor grommets are in place. Were there any in the sills?

Do  you mean from the inside?  I don't think so.
The exterior of the sills have 2 plugs per side.
There are also plugs in the bottoms of the doors & the boot floor.
I think the parts manual shows the locations of the plugs.

Quoted from Nick Moore
The GT6’s interior has started going in. Not in any particular order, mostly as I pull parts out of boxes and figure out where they go. Insulation pads on the floor, carpets, seat runners, wiring loom, door fittings and some of the lights - easy stuff so far.

One question - what were the A pillars covered with? Was it headlining fabric (like the B pillars), black vinyl or trim-colour vinyl? John Thomason's book isn't helpful as the interior photos are all black and white, and most of the cars appear to have had black trim anyway. There are cars with trim-coloured A pillars on the internet, but I can't tell if they're original.

I haven't had this much fun since I took it apart!

Hi Nick

The A pillars are indeed black but when i had my new headlining made I asked them to continue this down the A-pillar.  Looks great and lightens up the cabin a little.