What should I do?

TimW

So I have a type 9 gearbox in my GT6. The ratios are no longer suitable with the power and torque I'm now producing so I'd like to sell the gearbox as a kit. Question is what to replace it with? I'd like to keep my GT6 flywheel if at all possible as it's balanced as part of the rotating assembly. What are your thoughts? 

2 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Are you looking for overall higher gearing, so more like a closer ratio spread in a GT6 box (not suggesting you revert!) with the higher first gear?

Perhaps start with what is wrong with the current ratios?

So 1st is far too short, 2nd isn't bad but too tall for standing starts and too short to 3rd which is about the same as a GT6 box. 4th and 5th are OK but 5th isn't quite as long as overdrive 4th in a d-type gt6 box so that means I need to use a 3.27 diff to get the legs for motorway use. Obviously a GT6 box isn't really going to be strong enough to cope with the torque I have (about 210ftlb) saloon/TR6 box requires chassis mods that in an ideal world I'd like to avoid if possible and if I used such a box I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to use a GT6 flywheel? 

16 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

You can use a GT6 Flywheel with a TR box. Sprint box may be better bet, check the ratios. J-type saloon box has same input shaft size as GT6

Need to use Sprint clutch release the I thunk no or less chassis mods needed.

Thanks 👍