steering column removal on Mk3 GT6

Checkld

Hiya all, I wondered if anyone can shed (get what I did there) any wisdom on how to remove the upper inner steering column from the outer steering column cover? I'm replacing the outer cover as it is completely mashed at the top and have put new bushes in in prep to install the inner upper column. However I can't get the damn thing out. Clearly where the steering lock bit is bigger in circumference, but it just doesn't go through the the old bushes (and clearly won't go through the newly installed bushes in the new cover), so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated

• 4 months later...
On 28/02/2021 at 12:38, Checkld said:

Hiya all, I wondered if anyone can shed (get what I did there) any wisdom on how to remove the upper inner steering column from the outer steering column cover? I'm replacing the outer cover as it is completely mashed at the top and have put new bushes in in prep to install the inner upper column. However I can't get the damn thing out. Clearly where the steering lock bit is bigger in circumference, but it just doesn't go through the the old bushes (and clearly won't go through the newly installed bushes in the new cover), so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated

You need to put the key in the ignition and turn it to position 2 which will drop the large locking pin into the ignition barrel assembly. You can then withdraw the inner column from the outer. If the lower Bush is still in it then you can use the large steering column lock ring that's machined onto the inner column as a slide hamner to hammer the old Bush out from the outer column. If you've already fitted both bushes in the new outer then you'll need to remove the lower one again and install it once the inner is back in.

• Like 1