I’d Give the Earth .... Digital and instruments.

Darren Sharp

6 hours ago, twincamspit said:

I'd post a photo but the only option seems to be 'Insert image from URL' which means I'd have to host the photo somewhere.

On the reply window you have an "Add Files" button, upload your photos here. 

You can then place the cursor where you want in your text, then click the photo you want to insert and done. If you don't insert they land on the end of the post.

HTH,

Phil

6 hours ago, twincamspit said:

I've got speedhut gauges in my Spitty too, on a single piece dash.
Had the word 'GPS' deleted from the speedometer though, in case it gave the MoT man the jitters 😉
I'd post a photo but the only option seems to be 'Insert image from URL' which means I'd have to host the photo somewhere.

Does this work?

dash-fitting

25358651_10155822117373654_372650929834086954_o

Nice! 

• Like 1

On 21/04/2021 at 15:34, DVD3500 said:

Ok Thanks.

I may be be swapping diffs with a different ratio and I figure this is the safest option for knowing the speed.

We have 30 KPH zones nearly everywhere in my town and radar traps to boot... the standard Spitfire speedo bobbing between 20 and 30 does not instill confidence...

A while ago the speedo on my TR4A started to oscillate wildly at speeds up to 30mph, above which it became rock steady as before. I followed the flexible drive test/overhaul procedure in the excellent Smiths publication attached and completely solved the problem, I again had a perfectly steady needle at all speeds. You may need to replace the inner flexible drive or there may be an internal instrument fault but it is certainly worth trying the cable checks suggested herein, it will cost nothing and you may be pleasantly surprised as I was.

Tim    

SMITHStheCareofInstruments.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks Tim!

The Speedo needs a complete overhaul as it is all very rusty. If I am in there maybe I can just change whatever is needed to match the diff I put in.

The engine is putting out over 11 lb/ft of torque so I am actually thinking of going 3.27 but if I can't find one 3.63 will have to do....

In any case I know my 3.89 is just too short as my first Spitfire I only tweaked up to about 70 HP and it was screaming at 75 mph!

14 hours ago, thebrookster said:

On the reply window you have an "Add Files" button, upload your photos here. 

You can then place the cursor where you want in your text, then click the photo you want to insert and done. If you don't insert they land on the end of the post.

HTH,

Phil

Thanks Phil, but my PC isn't showing an 'Add Files' option 😕

The 'Insert image from URL' doesn't work for me either, I put a valid flickr URL in and it just goes red.
But I've found that I can paste the URL into the reply and that seems to work, e.g.

temp-screenshot1

I think it's because I'm on a PC and not a mobile phone, so it's a different UI

45 minutes ago, DVD3500 said:

Thanks Tim!

The Speedo needs a complete overhaul as it is all very rusty. If I am in there maybe I can just change whatever is needed to match the diff I put in.

The engine is putting out over 11 lb/ft of torque so I am actually thinking of going 3.27 but if I can't find one 3.63 will have to do....

In any case I know my 3.89 is just too short as my first Spitfire I only tweaked up to about 70 HP and it was screaming at 75 mph!

11 lbs/ft torque - surely some mistake. I reckon that a 3.27 axle would be a trifle ambitious, you would certainly have relaxed cruising but wouldn't win many prizes at the traffic light grands prix. Unless of course you have a 3.5 litre Rover lump in your Spitfire in line with your user name!

Tim

2 hours ago, twincamspit said:

I think it's because I'm on a PC and not a mobile phone, so it's a different UI

I'm on a PC - albeit a Linux one but running Firefox and I'm fairly sure I get the same on Windows - and I get a fairly obvious link at the bottom of the editor:

DragHere.png.8e7b98c09e0f06de6e0af80d6c0ad1ba.png

I usually click on the "choose files" bit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2021 at 14:23, RobPearce said:

I'm on a PC - albeit a Linux one but running Firefox and I'm fairly sure I get the same on Windows - and I get a fairly obvious link at the bottom of the editor:

DragHere.png.8e7b98c09e0f06de6e0af80d6c0ad1ba.png

I usually click on the "choose files" bit.

I don't want to detract from the original thread too much, but they've fixed the bug - it now has a 'Drag files to attach or choose files' as Rob says, plus an 'Other Media' dropdown on the right, so that makes it a lot easier for those of us on lowly Windoze and Edge to insert local media, cheers 🙂

• Like 1