MK3 gearbox/clutch noise

Guppy916

Merry Christmas everybody, I thinking Boxing day weather cold but dry, open the garage up fire up the Triumph and go for a local spin, after a few miles a new noise started, so I turned tail and headed for home and I think the thrust bearing is starting to complain, it can only be 500 miles old, but if I just rest my foot on the clutch pedal the noise stops, any other ideas please, the gearbox & overdrive (J Type) have  both been rebuilt at the same time a new 3 piece clutch was fitted, can I drop the gearbox from underneath the car, or do I have to remove it from the inside,

is there a preferred bearing to use,

https://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=GRB209

When I read "thrust" bearing I thought you meant the expensive damage potential but you just mean the clutch release bearing, yes? If so then a bit of noise isn't unusual and doesn't necessarily indicate any problems.

No, you can't drop the gearbox, the chassis is in the way. It must come out inside the car.

It sounds like the release bearing is rattling on either its operating arm, slide tube or against the clutch pressure plate and touching the pedal is enough to stop it. If its quiet when fully pressed then the bearing is ok.

How much sound deadening have you got on the gearbox cover? Ive got polyurethane foam sprayed on the inside plus underfelt glued outside under the carpet and it kills a lot of noise....

Thanks guys, I hope you both had a peaceful Christmas, Yes if I press the pedal to the floor we have silence, sound deadening I have covered the gearbox cover with Dynamat Extreme along with the carpet under lay and finally the carpet, 

Thanks Rob I think I will pull the engine then, this will kill two birds with one stone, I can replace the sump gasket which has a couple of drips, and the same with the front oil seal it has a very slight drip,  also fit a steel front bridgeing block may even go as far asto  replace the rear oil seal assy while it's out, 

Did I mention that I was bored with this lockdown, I think i shall give it another spin down the road just to access if i'm being a bit OTT

Happy new year to one and all 

Are you certain that youre not actually disenging the clutch when you say 'rest my foot on the pedal' because if that was the case it would point to a gearbox noise. As you probably know even in neutral the gearbox input shaft and laygear spin until the clutch is disengaged. The gearbox has been recently rebuilt so it shouldnt be a bearing but its well known that the laygear can rattle on its shaft....

Well the only other thing I can think of is the clutch release bearing operating arm is loose on its pivot pin and rattling when not under load from the slave cylinder. They have a spring clip to hold them on the pivot head but with the years the socket in the arm wears and becomes loose. I had one so bad a long time ago where the pivot had worn right through the arm and the clutch wouldnt operate! To check it you'd have to remove the tunnel and hold the arm to see if the noise stops....