RMC590L

Im looking to do a engine rebuild on my 1973 2000 2litre. I want to try and increase the power a bit without losing drivability. I have been looking into camshafts. One that i have been looking at is from a tr6. I have been told there are 2 different power engines in tr6's. The CR version at125bhp and the CP version at150bhp. Its been suggested to me that the cam from the lower powered CR engine will work in a 2 litre engine and do what im asking. 

Has anyone fitted a tr6 camshaft to a 2 litre? If someone has what was the results?

I can get my engine number if needed. 

Thanks in advance.

the 125 cam was used on some 2000 engines (certainly the very last GT6 and I guess saloons, as well as the 2500s) 

It is a very "soft" cam. So it is likely you either have this cam already, or will lose power.

The best "factory" option is probably the cam used on the mk1 PI engine, also mk2 vitesse and GT6. But first find out what you have!

the 125 cam was used on some 2000 engines (certainly the very last GT6 and I guess saloons, as well as the 2500s) 

It is a very "soft" cam. So it is likely you either have this cam already, or will lose power.

The best "factory" option is probably the cam used on the mk1 PI engine, also mk2 vitesse and GT6. But first find out what you have!

Quoted from cliftyhanger-

It's not that soft! If you put a properly soft cam in a 2.5 you end up with a 2500TC or S and only get 105, not 125!

But yes, the early PI cam, which is the same as a Vitesse/GT6 Mk2, is a good option.

The TR6 125 cam is 18 58 the same as the 2500S . Or so I have always thought, but looking at the Witor site looks like I have been mistaken for 27 years!

But I stand by the mk2 vitesse cam being a lovely all-rounder. Although Witor does a hybrid cam that could be worth a look.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Quoted from cliftyhanger-

The TR6 125 cam is 18 58 the same as the 2500S . Or so I have always thought, but looking at the Witor site looks like I have been mistaken for 27 years!

But I stand by the mk2 vitesse cam being a lovely all-rounder. Although Witor does a hybrid cam that could be worth a look.

no the 2500s cam is 10 50

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't thnk that you will get that much improvement from any reasonable cam.

But a 2.5L engine is a revelation in terms of mid range torque, even without any mods.  Do that and you understand why Triumph never did it, in a car half a tonne lighter than  the TR6!  And it's easy to fit to the GT6, just use the OE sump and rear engne plate, and bash two grooves in the shallow floor of the sump to clear the Nos. 1 and 2 big ends.

John

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2020 at 21:32, RMC590L said:

Im looking to do a engine rebuild on my 1973 2000 2litre. I want to try and increase the power a bit without losing drivability. I have been looking into camshafts. One that i have been looking at is from a tr6. I have been told there are 2 different power engines in tr6's. The CR version at125bhp and the CP version at150bhp. Its been suggested to me that the cam from the lower powered CR engine will work in a 2 litre engine and do what im asking. 

Has anyone fitted a tr6 camshaft to a 2 litre? If someone has what was the results?

I can get my engine number if needed. 

Thanks in advance.

If you buy new make sure its from a new blank and not reprofiled, I have had 2 Kents go soft after 10 to 15000 miles. I now buy Newmans and cant fault them.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2020 at 19:01, Clive said:

I can vouch for the "hybrid" Witor cam in a 2.0. I think I would try the Newman cam next time I need one, for the quality and price I don't think you could do much better.

• 3 months later...
38 minutes ago, Gt6s said:

No. Exactly the same three ring cam.

I believe you are mistaken and TR20tc is correct. There are three cam profiles for 2500 saloons - early PI, late PI and carb - the S (carb) one is the mildest of them. The PI cams are the same as the early/late Mk2/3 GT6 cams. The "three groove" is a TR6 camshaft, not fitted to saloons.

• 2 years later...