CT pony Express Gloria Southern Cross

Hello All,

We are back home safely sadly without the car. I  believe that after the first overheating the headgasket went and that was game over. I am not sure why she overheated and what has caused the radiator blockage, i am sure we'll find out once the car is back.

We left the car in the good care of our friends from the AA at Edinburgh airport and continued our journey in an Enterprise van..

As the car is equipped with a tracker i googled the position this morning and am shocked at the street view images of where the car supposingly is. I would not leave a bike there! She might be inside the hangar but i suspect she is not. 

Houston Industrial Estate
Muir Pl, Livingston EH54 5BF, UK

more bad news is that the transporter will only pick her up on 5th of November, imagine the damage the Scottish weather will have done to an approximately waterproof car!

I have contacted the insurance company this morning and am trying to arrange either an earlier pick up or organize my own, perhaps even coming back over to the UK and pick her up myself.

So my question:

Anyone in the neighborhood that could have a look for me to see in what conditions the car is stored?

So sorry to hear of the problem Dirk, everyone was disappointed not to see the Southern Cross back at Knebworth. I am sure someone will be back to you soon on here with an offer to check out exactly how the car is being stored.

All the best to you and Hans

Tim

Hi Rob and Phil,

thanks for the offer, I have emailed Phil and for the time being the only thing I would love is to make sure that the bad vibes I get from the google street view pictures are unfunded.

the insurance company was very apologetic but they work with partners and of course can not control all storage places over the world. They did offer me the opportunity to organize my own transporter as long as the prices are in line with the offer of the AA.

I have emailed Sterling motor transports, with whom i have had dealings before to see if they could perform the pick up for me so am waiting what their offer will be. 

the stupid thing is that the insurance cy did not want to bring the car back to kneb through the aa relay system because too expensive and I did not ask them, with our trailer being at Kneb, for them to organize transport for us to Kneb, pick up the trailer and drive north to the car...

Ah well lesson learned, Just got reply from Phil through Email that he will have a look at the location tomorrow. Beer tokens, or waffles whatever fancy, due.

Amazing the spirit of Club Triumph!

Thanks all!

Dirk

Dirk,

With our membership secretary's help I identified a member in Broxburn, about 3 miles from your car's location. I checked this thread again before contacting him to ask if he could help and for his permission to pass you his contact details (our wonderful new Data Protection Regulations). I see this is not now necessary as you are sorted, thanks to Phil. 

The C.T. Pony Express TRiumphs again.

Tim

Quoted from steve hudson-

Dirk not sure if it helps, but there is a recovery garage not far from the location you give, its 55.171212, -3.545368, James H Glen Motor Engineers 01387 860346, it may be worth a call to see if its there.

Steve

Thats in Dumfries Steve??

As Dirk said, I am going to pop through in a couple of hours to have a wee shifty and see how the land lies. However, encouragingly, I have been in contact with an ex RBRR Participant, Chris Sherrington (of the judo fame) who used to live close by, and he has assured me that the area is in fact pretty reputable looks aside. So that is a glimmer of good news to start of with.

BTW Dirk - no payment to me required, all I ask is that maybe someday you can be of similar service to another triumph owner over your way.

Cheers

Phil

It would seem that they have now moved the car and she is indoors.

The insurance cy also has moved forward the delivery date with 14 days, so now that's reasonable also. As long as Phil doesnt get a bad vibe from his visit I think that we will let the insurers run with it.

THanks all,

And sure, it goes without saying that any assistance needed when over here please feel free to call. Pony Express works 2 ways (at least in my and CT's book it does!)

Cheerz

Dirk

Quoted from Alex-

Have to say I love this club!.... ok so there’s the odd idiot I guess but on the whole what a fantastic bunch, many I’m lucky enough to call friends. 

Same here Alex, same here! a wonderful joyful bunch they are!

Anyone over in Belgium needing a hand, feel free to call

D

• 4 weeks later...

I know Theo,

silly thing is that we had the trailer over there but they refused to take the car down south again because too expensive with the AA. The grouped transport brought it to Belgium for 1000 euro's. At first they said next week but once i was booked and inside the terminal i got a text saying November.  If they only had send the message one hour earlier I would have turned round and picked her up myself.

As we broke down on the 6th and they said the car would be home on the 5th I can only assume that their subcontractor has a month for recovering the car and that he must have put out a tender for anyone to bring it over earlier. At a certain stage I got a mail saying the car would be here 3rd week October so i am assuming that they found someone willing to take on the job but when it subsequently fell through they had to send their transporter up at the last moment. As the car has a tracker I know they picked her up on Friday 2nd November and were on the overnight ferry from hull Saturday.

They are all very politically correct and apologetic and overall except for the delay I can not complain, it was even funny to see that each time I made a inquiry or complaint there was some reaction.

First when I googled the location the tracker said it was outside, I rang them up and although they claimed not to have any control over it the car was moved indoors about one hour later, then when i complained that because of the bank holiday the car was not going to be in Belgium on 5th again the car was moved to make it ready for pick up I guess.