4-2-1 manifold Mk3 spit: to fit or not to fit for RBRR

Afternoon all,

Advice & opinions please: preparations for my first RBRR are looking fairly good, engine now run-in after bottom-end rebuild and oil pressure is good and she's running happily. 

Thing is, I've got a 4-2-1 manifold & downpipe (Rimmers) hanging on the garage wall and am in two minds about fitting it before the event.

Should I do it, or is it not worth risking some unforeseen trouble?

Background, it's otherwise a standard Mk3 FD engine with SU HS2 carbs. They are fitted with radiused stub stacks, K&N filters, and BO needles. Exhaust is a standard single-pipe system, and the new manifold requires me to cut the existing front pipe and fit an adaptor sleeve. So it's not an easily reversible operation.

Am I likely to notice any extra pep just by adding the tubular manifold? Is it likely to fit without too much swearing?! 

I'm happy with the way the car is running so maybe the sensible option is to leave it on the wall. But the car will be heavily laden and I don't want it to feel sluggish!

Let me know your thoughts please!

Thanks, Pete

I'd leave it as is for now. The tubular manifold won't give you very much benefit until you have a chance to set it all up right with the optimum needles. If it's running well and has been reliable, wait until after the run before tuning it up more.

As to how easy it is to fit - mine has a tubular manifold and it's a very tight squeeze. I fitted it while the body was off, which makes it a lot easier, but didn't notice the need to relieve the chassis a bit until rather later. I also had to borrow a big pipe bender to make it line the exhaust up correctly. Allow yourself a few weeks to get it done right, don't try to rush it.

If you're concerned about the car being sluggish, then re-think your spares list. It doesn't need to be that heavy laden.