Quoted from Howard-

Beware all ye who put your faith in my SatNav routes!

I will be preparing a route as usual so if you want to see if I can get you totally lost send me a PM.

(From Sunny Qatar, which is even further away than Italy..)

I will secretly use it only when my British co-driver needs to sleep.

PM sent, by the way, and thanks a lot.

(And hotter too, I suppose.)

Allesandro

PM received and will issue it after the drivers meeting (I have the routes from the previous runs so it should not take long)

I prepare it for my Garmin Sat Nav in two forms:-

1) Full detailed route

2) Control stops only as POI file

The latter is useful if you get behind schedule and need to find the quickest route to the next stop.

Cheers

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Rob,

Totally agree with you about Google limitations which can be a serious issue. Its not to bad if it knows where you want to go, but the other day I was trying to go somewhere in Qatar (only 100 miles by 50) and despite me being on a dual carriageway and my destination being just a few miles away and recognized it kept insisting that there was no possible route!!

Cheers

Howard

Quoted from RobPearce-

Unless you need it for Google Maps on a smartphone but that's because Google maps is not a proper satnav and won't let you import routes in any form. At all. Not even from Google's own "my maps" service.

Try OsmAnd, it's free and allows to load and follow DIY routes.

• 2 weeks later...

We've done the last 2 using navfree which worked well but seems to have gone down hill recently. So we are going to use HERE wego.. seems OK.. you can download maps so you don't need 4G (good for the Scottish highlands) and once entered the way points appear on a map.. so you just click and go.. hopefully should be OK

I just received the route from Tim Bancroft, thanks a lot to Howard who did the dirty job!

I tried to upload the gpx files on Google Maps but the route isn't showed correctly and I see just a straight line connecting the way points. I will check it on a proper satnav.

If you want to load the .GPX into Google Maps you first must convert them to KML files and they will then load  but show hundreds of additional routing points but they are not a lot of use. I have not found any way of loading them Google Maps / Android as a route & haven't had any success with the alternate android app I tried (OsmAmd) .

If you want to use Google Maps try converting the .CSV file to a .KML and that should create routes close to the road book that can be loaded into Google Maps. Can you let me know if you are successful? The file converter I used is given again below:-

https://www.gps-data-team.com/convert.php

The following link describes a procedure for loading the POI into Google for use as route

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/45174

Cheers

Howard

Hi Howard,

Thanks first for the files, saves us a lot of slogging!

I successfully uploaded them to OsmAnd + straight from the mail. once I clicked there is the option of saving it as favorites or use it as gpx track. once that done it will show up in your gpx folder where you can select it for navigation. Obviously i have not yet tried to navigate your files but tested it with a different gpx file on a local rally last weekend. One thing that bothered is that it will not jump to the next WP if you miss the actual one because of a detour. You then have to ask him to jump to the next point.

I was not successful in uploading it to my regular nav, Navitel, which tells me that there is no track info in the file, but here i just used the waypoints and will route point to point.

For those that struggle to upload the WP from the CVS file, try swapping lat and long column, some programs use an different convention. 

THanks again and see you all friday!

D

If its of any use to anyone, my Co-driver has made sat nav Itinerary of the checkpoints for use with older satnavs such as TOMTOM one (.itn file). Stick it on your memory card , load itinerary, done.

I've also put Howard Brissenden Sat nave routes in the shared folder. I hope that takes some of the load off of him 

Also is a shared Google maps map of the basic checkpoints route.

Google Maps Checkpoints only.....Click Here

Tim