There was a post on the RBRR facebook group yesterday from Shedtune (Andy Pearce) talking about using WhatsAp for a spares messaging service this time around. Also with the facebook group up and running (and used a lot more than the forum for RBRR discussions!)  I can see that many of the crews will be posting updates on there during the run.

Quoted from yorkshire_spam-

I think today's defibrillator debacle is indicative of the "Facebook experience"

I'm a fan of forums - way better than FB to manage discussions - but that kind of things have always happened on forums, newsgroups and every other kind of virtual place.
It's a people problem, not platform.

It's true that every form of Internet "place" has always suffered the presence of jerks and twats. However, the modern "social media" platforms (FB, Twitter, etc.) are measurably worse. Possibly because they're designed to be so easy that even the sort of brain-damaged quarter-wit that invites a punching in the local pub can use them.

Quoted from RobPearce-

It's true that every form of Internet "place" has always suffered the presence of jerks and twats. However, the modern "social media" platforms (FB, Twitter, etc.) are measurably worse. Possibly because they're designed to be so easy that even the sort of brain-damaged quarter-wit that invites a punching in the local pub can use them.

Good point.
Due a lethal mix of improved interfaces and widespread internet connections (thanks smartphones!) in the past the internet was used mostly by IT guys and other tech people, nowadays everybody can be there. The more people, the more ***holes. It's just a matter of numbers.
Forums are a bit better only because they're old-fashioned and almost forgotten, still used by people who knew the internet when the "netiquette" was a thing.

If there is no message diary for 2018, none of you will have to suffer me taking over it. I was informed that I had posted more messages than anyone else over the years and I was also reliably informed some members of CT actually liked what I reported. You will also be pleased to hear that I do not use FB and have no desire to. 

The first few times we ran the message service it was superb, lots of crews used it, but last time I think only about 15no did. Therefore sadly the cost of setting it up and running is too prohibitive.

Totally agree about FB, I only use as I want to keep an eye on the RBRR page, otherwise, its awful.

Really sad the way that forums are losing traffic due to FB.

I am not on Facebook and I doubt I ever will be. So it appears I am missing out on the RBRR chatter which is a shame seeing as it's my first time on the event. But hey ho I will turn up on the day, enjoy the event and go home again. 

My opinion is use this forum or loose it!

Bruce

Message Diary now live by popular demand. Use the existing numbers but please DON'T PUBLISH THEM here for obvious reasons.

Currently working for SMS and MMS messages. No need to register as it uses your mobile no from the entry database (which is accurate of course😉)

Not working for email but a new interface for smart phone users is coming soon, drop me a pm to be involved in testing.

K

• 4 weeks later...

Crews please note-

1. During the run the most recent entries will be displayed on the front page of the website to promote the event and encourage donations.
  2. There is a new field on your entry form called 'charity link'. If you enter the full address of your justgiving page here it will generate a 'donate' button against your entries.
  3. As will as images it should accept videos and also location data which will be displayed on the map, also on the front page.
  4. Good luck and have an enjoyable and safe run!

Keith