Horrified to find when checking car round today that both brake lights were inoperative. I was pretty surprised as last checked only a few days ago. Problem soon identified as stuck brake light switch. I removed it and with some penetrating lube got the plunger working smoothly. Can't complaln, switch is the 50-year-old original!

Incidentally, while on the topic of the brake light switch it is possible to adjust it so that a light touch on the pedal will illuminate the brake lights without bringing pads and linings into play and causing any retardation. This affords a safe way of alerting a tailgater that they are too close and should drop back or overtake.  As we all know "Only a fool breaks the two second rule".

Tim

Hi Tim,
           do not have the switch too sensitive.
The brake and throttle pedals are very close and it is very easy to touch the brake pedal and bring the lights on, dare I say 'willy nilly'

I have fitted a pair of LED's on the dash of my 4A that illuminate when the brake lights are on.
They detect the filament current; so tell me if a bulb has popped.  

Roger

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quoted from timbancroft61
Weirdly, both Sean Bradley and me had similar issues.

Luckily I had a couple of spare switches with me, one being the type for a TR4, much better switch, although still not as robust as I would have wished to have fitted.

The TSSC shop now stock some robust brake light switches. Dave 🙂

Quoted from cliftyhanger
That should fit. But probably worth paying for the Lucas version....

Probably. The Bearmach stuff is generally ok. Britpart? no thanks. Can't tell you if the land rover branded stuff is any good - I can never afford it! 😉

(one of the reasons I use that website is that you get to choose which brand you buy)