"Controls – Blyth will not be used as it was too busy and not large enough to cope. Lloyd
Reed has been instrumental in securing the use of Knock Hill race circuit which will replace
Kinross. Sugar loaf will not be used. Raglan services on the A40 is under consideration.
Westonzoyland will not be used.
Approaches are being made to Quanton Railway centre at Aylesbury in order to remove the
M25 from this part of the route. "

Copied from the Secretary's Notes.

What will replace Blyth?  Ferrybridge or Wetherby?

If we approach Knockhill from the motorway, will we leave to the north-west towards Powmill - a cracking drivers road.

Will we miss out Llandovery and take the shorter route from Builth Wells to Abergavenny?  That would make up for the extra time getting to and from Knockhill.

Will miss the M25.

Don't get much chance to drive on gridlocked roads up here in the wide open expanses of God's own country.

Jim.

Quoted from McJim Too

What will replace Blyth?  Ferrybridge or Wetherby?

How about odd numbered crews stop at Ferrybridge and even numbered ones at Wetherby??

Blythe was too soon in 2016 what with the start being on the A1, so moving up the road will be good.

Quoted from McJim Too

If we approach Knockhill from the motorway, will we leave to the north-west towards Powmill - a cracking drivers road.

Local knowledge is good for making choices, hopefully it will get picked up on.

Quoted from McJim Too

Will miss the M25.

We won't...

Quoted from McJim Too

Don't get much chance to drive on gridlocked roads up here in the wide open expanses of God's own country.

It won't be long and we will be able to ship you some of our jams.

There's no great problem at Ferrybridge.

The motorway interchange is well signposted.

I've used it twice for refuelling on previous runs.

However, Wetherby is a relatively new motorway service area and much bigger than Blyth.

Plus, it has the advantage of being further away from the start, thus stringing out the cars so that they don't all arrive in such a narrow time window.

The only realistic alternative after that is Scotch Corner but now you're getting closer to the next control at Carter Bar.

Or you could stir things up and have a staggered start with all the small engined and oldest cars leaving the start one hour before the rest of the field.

Jim.

Quoted from Steve28
not so good if in a convoy with friends with opposite numbers trying to keep together.

There is always some bright spark to shoot my fantastic ideas down in flames....

How about having a pile of "Wetherby" stop tokens and a pile of "FerryBridge" stop tokens and you take one as you leave and trade it for a signature at the respective services??

Glasgow to Preston

Not sure what the route planners have in mind for this years route - but living as I do 30 mins west of Penrith I'm happy to advise or route check anything about this section - that's if it's anything other than a run down the M74 /  M6.

BTW - If anyone has an old road book ( Wasn't there a re-print one year!) that I can look through to begin to get familiar - it would be appreciated as both Phil & I are newbies. Also if there is to be a reliance on SATNAV some recommendations as to which would be useful too -it needs to be relatively inexpensive,  easy to load way-points & intuitive to use.

Quoted from Greta
BTW - If anyone has an old road book ( Wasn't there a re-print one year!) that I can look through to begin to get familiar - it would be appreciated as both Phil & I are newbies. Also if there is to be a reliance on SATNAV some recommendations as to which would be useful too -it needs to be relatively inexpensive,  easy to load way-points & intuitive to use.

The cheapest option here: Sorry , link no longer available

Quoted from Greta
Also if there is to be a reliance on SATNAV some recommendations as to which would be useful too -it needs to be relatively inexpensive,  easy to load way-points & intuitive to use.

Greta

Usually Sat Nav files are available in most of the main formats - Garmin, TomTom, Navman etc. from other entrants. Some allow full detailed routes to be plotted and some only allow you to enter the destinations. Personally I prefer the Garmin units and they normally come with free map updates for life, however uploading the route can be a right pain so take your pick.

See you next year

H

Found this on a Tomtom forum but not tried it yet.

https://en.discussions.tomtom......omtom-devices-974714

Jim.

Maybe useful a kind of remote Itinerary planning on your PC

Download the Free Tyre to Travel..... http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/

With the latest Free version of Tyre you can compile a route on your PC, and convert it a ".Ov2 POI file, Inside the .Ov2 POI file will be your POI's

Tyre To Travel uses the large screen on your PC to view the maps, it easier than to scrolling around the screen of your Tomtom GO to find your waypoints (Stops)

If you use some naming system like like the suggestions below, when you load them on to your Tomtom they should end up in Numerical order at the top of the MyPlaces list.

(1)..While you are planning your route in Tyre, edit the names of your POI's so they each POI has a unique name (Say "01stop", "02stop", "03stop" etc ... then the last on as "##End" the ## being the last Stop number)

I just add the 01stop "02stop", "03stop" etc. as a prefix to the Name offered by Tyre

(2)..... After you have planned your route using Tyre and you are happy with the result go to the 'File Menu' in Tyre click on 'Convert to a Tomtom POI file at the popup window answer 'Yes'

(3)..... From the File Menu in Tyre click on 'Save as" I saved my file to the Desktop as "Favorites (Note "Favorites.ov2" is the only filename the New GO range will accept for uploading)

Note: Saving a file is the only way I have found to give the file the name you want rather than the default name
Its also handy to have a backup of the route on your PC

(4)….. Loading POI (Favorites) List into your Tomtom using the free version of Softops POI editor
Download Softop POI editor….. >>>Click here<<<
To a folder on your desktop; open the folder and un-zip the file.

(4.1)..... >>>“IMPORTANT”<<< If Tomtom’s “MyDrive” is not already running
Start-up My Dive there’s no need to login but Tomtom MyDrive must be running on the taskbar
Tomtom changed something a couple of updates ago and now Softop POI editor needs MyDive running in the background to work

(5)...Run the TomPoiEdrEn.exe file; you should now have the SoftTop POI editor running. Connect you Tomtom to your PC USB port and turn it on. Drag 'n' drop the Favorites.ov2 file you created with Tyre into the POI editor and remove any Telephone numbers or Memo notes (The new GO Doesn't like Telephone numbers or Memo notes)

If necessary How to remove Phone Numbers and Memos

Click on a loaded POI > then press CTRL/A keys on your PC to select all the loaded POIs Click on the "POI Tab" in Softops POI editor > Click "Clear Columns Tab" or press the CTRL/L keys on your PC > Tick Tel/Speed and Memo/Camera/Icon boxes > Click OK From the File Tab in Softops POI editor click on 'Save as" I saved my file to the Desktop as "Favorites say yes to overwrite the file if you had to remove any Telephone numbers or Memo notes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(6).....Click on the Save to Device Icon

(The up arrow Icon) in Softops POI editor

Ignore the Max files warning

Ignore the cannot write the files error warning

After you have disconnected the device, and depending how many POI's you have loaded It may take quite a while for the GO to compile the POI's, and for them to appear on the screen in MyPlaces

Option (A)
It’s not an Itinerary as such it’s a ordered list at the top of MyPlaces, you can now just work down the list in the correct order, navigating from POI to POI with your Tomtom planning the route in between.

Option (B)

On the new GO series you could setup a route on your device by using the stops in sequential
order, then add the waypoints (Stops) to your Itinerary

Note ..... Use the end point first

Tap 4Dot Icon > Tap MyPlaces
Tap 06End > Tap Blue Steering Wheel Icon (Use the end point first when you plan your route)
Tap 4Dot Icon > Tap MyPlaces >Tap 01Stop > Tap Add to Current Route
Tap 4Dot Icon > Tap MyPlaces >Tap 02Stop > Tap Add to Current Route
Tap 4Dot Icon > Tap MyPlaces >Tap 03Stop > Tap Add to Current Route
Tap 4Dot Icon > Tap MyPlaces >Tap 04Stop > Tap Add to Current Route
Tap 4Dot Icon > Tap MyPlaces >Tap 05Stop > Tap Add to Current Route

For a longer list continue until to reach the end of the list

To save your route.....

Tap 4Dot Icon > Tap Current Route > Tap Add to MyRoutes

Note: I think the development SoftTop POI editor has stopped as you can no longer access Google Earth or Maps from within the program and the author does not reply to Email

The small print
All the usual disclaimers apply; you use the above method completely at your discretion and at your own risk

Not at all Colin.

Tyre allows you to put up to 225 POI's into a route - I probably used about 40 for the RBRR route.

The good thing about it is that it's free to download the basic version which is all you really need.

http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/

The professional versions aren't much more expensive than an app on your phone.

I was just starting to find my way around the software last night but it seemed straightforward to use.

And no, before you ask, I'm not on commission.  

Jim.

Quoted from Greta
Glasgow to Preston

Not sure what the route planners have in mind for this years route - but living as I do 30 mins west of Penrith I'm happy to advise or route check anything about this section - that's if it's anything other than a run down the M74 /  M6.

Don't worry about it too much. The recommendation once you get the roadbook is to draw the route into a large scale road atlas. This did us just fine when we were newbies, we took it in turns to draw it in over tea and biccies and generally putting the world to rights so it's not a major chore. Obviously one's preference may be to do so in a suitable drinking establishment but this may be less helpful when it comes to route familiarisation...

We have a sat nav running and aiming for the postcode of the next destination but this is only to act as a) a speedo b) advance warning of twisty bits (especially in Wales) c) give us a vague idea as to how we are doing for time. It's only a navigational aid as a back up to the book & marked up map combination if we get completely stumped which so far we haven't been.  Admittedly I've only run it as a 3 so we've always had an at least semi conscious navigator though!