Saw a post on facebook from Stuart Wilson on the RBRR facebook group:-

"IMPORTANT NOTICE
Just seen that the A1 is going to be closed from 8pm on Friday night for bridge works in the road works.
This will no doubt have a significant effect on timings for Carter Bar onwards."

Obviously should have been posted on here rather than the unofficial facebook group!

Not sure where the roadworks are and whether it's possible to organise a re-route away from this?

Just found a website with the details, The A1 will be closed from 8pm on Friday 7 October until 6am on Sunday 9 October in both directions between junction 51 (Leeming Bar) and Scotch Corner.

website:-  http://www.harrogate-news.co.uk/2016/10/03/a1-closure-weekend-installation-new-bridge/#

doesn't look like there's a particularly short diversion around this

ive just tried to see exactly what is closed, but apart from press releases, there is nothing of any use on any official website that I can see.  Not even clear if you can get back on the A1 at scotch corner- its  bit of  mess there already.  I note one of the press releases say they are resurfacing the slip roads at Scotch Corner during the closure which may mean you cant get back on.......who knows!?

I live in the area and night closures have been pretty frequent and often choas on the surrounding roads.

bob

http://www.trafficengland.com/

Deselect live traffic and select future roadworks;

Quoted Text
Future Roadworks
Event is Unconfirmed
Location The A1 northbound between the junctions with the A6055 and the A6136 south of Catterick
Reason Road repairs are planned
Status Pending
Schedule Expect disruption everyday between 20:00 and 06:00 from 4 October 2016 to 7 October 2016
Schedule Expect disruption everyday between 20:00 and 06:00 from 7 October 2016 to 1 November 2016
Lanes Closed

That's not the same set of roadworks!!  its an ealrier stretch - hope thats not right!  I think its a generalisation to say there could be closures throughtout the upgraded stretch - pretty useless info from the official website!  

bob

Being a local, I think Thirsk (a168 is dual carriage way from Dishforth) Northallerton then skirt round the outskirts of Darlington is a good bet.  The A167 is a reasonable driving road but I imagine it will be a bit busy with the A1 shut.  I am just concerned that if you aim for Scotch Corner (ie head towards Leyburn from Bedale and then make for Richmond (via Patrick Brompton I think) then Scotch Corner may be a mess if resurfacing.  

Bob

Some in put from the official route people from the club would be useful as this is going to jigger up timings a fair bit for the rest of the run. If there is a recommended route and time allowance accordingly there's not an issue, but with people taking lots of different routes that isn't ideal.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The challenge is to drive 2000 miles in 48 hours via the set checkpoints. Some roads will be closed and others not as expected. I think it is a little unfair to expect the organisers to make any statement at this late stage.

Just get on with it and be grateful that we have modern technology that allows us to be forewarned. In the previous 40 years you would have been driving blind with just a map to improvise with.

Enjoy 🙂

AndyF

Quoted from AndyF
I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The challenge is to drive 2000 miles in 48 hours via the set checkpoints. Some roads will be closed and others not as expected. I think it is a little unfair to expect the organisers to make any statement at this late stage.

Just get on with it and be grateful that we have modern technology that allows us to be forewarned. In the previous 40 years you would have been driving blind with just a map to improvise with.

Enjoy 🙂

AndyF

Couldn't agree more.... Get over it and look at a map!

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
I'm more thinking that not everyone will have access to Facebook or the forum, and it might be a bit of a heart attack moment for teams that don't know about it.

If you're not concerned about the road closure then there was no need to post about it in the first place or comment on it.

If something like a blocked road gives someone a "heart attack moment" then I would strongly advise them not to take part in the RBRR.

Are we all going soft or what? Where is the "fly by your pants" attitude that used to be the norm in CT?

AndyF

Cannot see how we can help as the information looks sketchy.

My advice is, get a map out and plot a number of alternatives.

I will be emailing 'Final Instructions' tomorrow night, will include some words about this traffic issue. I would have liked to have sent them out on Thursday, however some people are travelling on Thursday, so will not see them.

Jon's request is not unreasonable.

Thanks to Stuart Wilson and Andy Cook for posting on here and Facebook, thanks chaps.

Mike Charlton has suggested some alternatives, will include in the Finals tomorrow.

Right, back to the 'Signing in' sheets that I am working on, its all go!  RBRR is like Xmas, loads of work for just two days fun!

Tim,

We all appreciate the amount of hard work you and the team put into this event, can't imagine how much time it takes!!!

Thank you all, its the best event ever.

As for a road closure, just deal with it. We all have maps, sort it out..................... there could very well be a road closure elsewhere on the run due to an accident or something else, and you just have to deal with it, plan around it and get on.

This is what this event is all about, surely.

Those that seem to be unduly worried about this minor change, perhaps should consider if this event is really for them. If they can't cope with a minor detour on a main road, I wonder how they will fair through Wales with no signposts, thick fog, narrow roads, and trying to find the Sugarloaf entrance, whilst their co-pilot is fast asleep!

Looking forward to cracking on!!

Quoted from timbancroft61
Please do not thank the team and me, the RBRR ain't started yet!

My list of jobs to do is now down to just 5!!!

Bit fed up about the number of entrants:168, now endured 31 withdrawals, leaving 137no starters.

Still all good, cannot wait to see all the cars at Knebworth-its about the cars eh!

I nearly fell off my chair Tim, I first read read this as 137 no starters, ie 137 drop outs!

My view with the road closure is it's good to share the info in advance so everyone is prepared to change their route, personal choice how you do this with either following the official diversion, using a traffic option on Sat Nav, planning by good old fashioned map or trying to follow your nose and getting lost! I know we've been warned bout major roadworks etc at the starting brief on previous runs, like the diversion in Wales a couple back. In 2,000 miles of route ther is always bound to be a bit of unplanned change, nice to get a heads up.

One of the recommendations on the facebook thread is the A167 up to Darlington, round the ring road and pick up the A68, apparently the A167 has a weight limit so will be free from HGVs. Having plotted it in the Atlas it doesn't look much different in distance, probably just a bit slower on a twisty A road but may even be a nice drive!

I've even marked the atlas up ready. Admittedly coming off at J50 before I read Tim's mail, however J49 doesn't look much different.