Cheers Steve and everyone else that's helped bringing this to entrant's attention.

In case anyone is interested, the suggested A167 / A168 route just brushes Darlington before re-joining the original route, and passes close to a 24 hour fuel station (Shell) - Woodland Rd, Darlington DL3 9NQ.

Cheers all and see you on Friday.

Quoted from cook1e

One of the recommendations on the facebook thread is the A167 up to Darlington, round the ring road and pick up the A68, apparently the A167 has a weight limit so will be free from HGVs. Having plotted it in the Atlas it doesn't look much different in distance, probably just a bit slower on a twisty A road but may even be a nice drive!

That's the route that Google suggested, estimating 20 minutes slower than A1 in normal traffic. It looks good.

Driving on a1 near Newark today and motorway signs said something about the a1 being closed Friday night from the A46 (or could be A47) shot past sign and didn't see another so not 100% certain.  I was heading south so presume shut on south side.  No time, just said Friday -  can't find any details on web - anyone else know of this?

Bob

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
I was planning on coming off at Junction 51 for Leeming, and cutting through the B roads, but it seems like the A1 may still be closed at that section too. Maybe a change of plans for us!

So, off at 50, A61 to Skipton on Swale, then A167 up to Darlington, short bit of A67 then pick up the A68 as planned.

Anyone have a view on this????

The road closure on the A466 near Chepstow was a lot more of a hassle as it was unexpected and we had to find a way around on the fly having missed/ignored  the diversion. Lots of narrow roads that were not much more than a track through the Forest of Dean, got a bit worried that the Sat Nav was sending us the wrong way but it worked a treat...

I reckon a lot of people just went straight over the new bridge and didn't even realise that was shut! I don't think there was a proper diversion in place, if there was we didn't see it either.

We managed to find a way out of Tintern that dropped us into the back of Chepstow- only added 10 mins but it wasn't somewhere you'd have wanted to send 130 cars through!