Quoted from Grahamgl
Good morning,
Will the postcodes for all the controls be in the Road Book, as they are not all given in the latest Triumph Torque?
Graham

Someone normally produces a few files with the controls programmed in for people to put on their satnav. It gets converted for multiple platforms as well. I'll be doing one for my Navman and my mate is bringing his TomTom so I'll deffo have those kicking around after the drivers meeting. Probably some for the apps on my phone as well.

And anyone doesn't like that I'm going to have a satnav on, please keep your problems to yourself and don't try to make them mine.

Quoted from ferny

Someone normally produces a few files with the controls programmed in for people to put on their satnav. It gets converted for multiple platforms as well. I'll be doing one for my Navman and my mate is bringing his TomTom so I'll deffo have those kicking around after the drivers meeting. Probably some for the apps on my phone as well.

And anyone doesn't like that I'm going to have a satnav on, please keep your problems to yourself and don't try to make them mine.

Quoted from Grahamgl
Velocito,
I don't know about you but I would find it impossibe to read the Roadbook, probably illegal as well, whilst I am driving and the navigator is asleep!
I am with ferny on this.
Graham

There are many opinions on how to drive this event, having done the event its quite easy to memorise the bits when your navigator is asleep, ie `cat napping ` rather than asleep from JOG to Stirling etc   .
The original events were designed to do so ...well before sat navs
The sat nav is ideal for night time as it shows the road curvatures and as in night rallies you can see when a relevant junction is approaching. So a quick refer to the map at such points is good The general response at this point from the dormant navigator is " All OK?" and then carry on dozing
I have not said anything aboutt NOT using sat navs.....so carry on.......but its not a race.......you only have to finish to achieve the RBRR
We have had `racers` before in this event and it causes problems.......especially when there is an event observer
sat around the corner  

Quoted from Tim Hunt
Did you notice Mike that in your link the height of Sugar Loaf Mountain in Rio was give at 13,000 feet! It is of course 1,300. I thought it was the Yanks who were given to exaggeration.

Tim

Afternoon Tim.....quite right....I think it was the Yanks that measured it!
I`ll have a cuppa ready for you when signing on at Blyth.....real Yorkshire tea!

Quoted from Grahamgl
Velocito,
I don't know about you but I would find it impossibe to read the Roadbook, probably illegal as well, whilst I am driving and the navigator is asleep!
I am with ferny on this.
Graham

I wonder how all the crews managed for all those events before GPS was available?

I use the Satnav as a backup , it's good to see  when the destination is ahead like Sugar Loaf.
Looks like there is only one change in the control stops from 2014 and that's Westonzoyland Airfield, although looking on the map the entrance for the control stop could be anywhere so will have to wait for the road book before working out the coordinates for the satnav.

These days I use the SatNav as my primary navigation system, but for a rally like the RBRR this is not simply a matter of entering the post codes of the various halts.

After getting the road book I boot up my computer with Google Maps & the Garmin Base Camp program. Every road & turn is traced from the road book using the satellite aerial photos to check any details not shown on the maps (eg the specific location of a stop) and the detailed route is created in the Base Camp map.

Maps of each sector are printed from the computer and then the route is uploaded onto the SatNav & we are ready to go.

All this takes a some hours work, but makes life a lot easier on the run. Since the large scale computer maps have been studied in detail you form a good mental picture of where we are going reducing the risk of getting lost

If anyone would like a copy route in Garmin format, please contact me via PM (please include your entry no)