A couple of weeks ago my lad - car 69 co-driver - found his left foot pointing downwards. No amount of effort could bring the toe up.
After a number of tests and an MRI scan it has been found he has a prolapsed disc at L5 vertebrae and it is pressing on the nerve,
Next week or maybe the week after he goes in for an op to sort the disc.

What are the chances he will be fit for October.

He didn;t want me to enter this year - amazing what people will do to sabotage things.

Roger

Sooner he has the op the better.  Days better than weeks to minimise nerve damage and improve chances of a full and quick recovery!

At least by being this severely afflicted he will get treatment quickly.  If he was "merely" in disabling pain he'd probably be still be waiting for a treatment decision in October.......  As it is he may actually be fixed by then if all goes well.

Best of luck to him!

Nick

Hi Folks,
                thanks for your good wishes - I'll pass them on.
In theory, according to the consultant, the op should sort things quickly. In reality I am conscious that things could be different.

I hope I don't have to post in the summer for a co-driver.

Roger

Hogie:  Sorry the hear the news.  As said health comes First.  Hope all works out.  Don't worry about the run as their is still plenty of time.  If you or anyone needs a co driver or want's to be one I am sure something will work out even at the last moment.

After all the RBRR is the one run where, No Man Is Left Behind. Or at least not after the start.

Hi Goody, not panicking yet.

Some good news today. Russell got a call from the consultant - be at Charing Cross hospital at 7am this coming monday. if he can get in he will be sorted that day and out the following.  Fingers crossed.

Roger

Yes, the NHS. They've worked very well so far. The only hic-up is that the hospital didn't forward their notes to the GP.
Russell needed some stronger pain killers today so he contacted the GP and he got the elbow as the GP didn't know what treatment the hospital had provided.
Anyway dad stepped in a spoke to the GP reception and good things happened.

Roger

Today another hic-up but not the end of the world.
Russell spent all day (7am - 5pm) at Charing Cross Hospital but didn't get in as there was no bed available.
He will have to try next - but he will  go up the priority list. Fingers crossed for next week.

Roger

I have just got the co-driver home from hospital. A little sore but mobile on his pins.
The pain in the leg has now gone.
Tomorrow the physio starts to get his foot working again.

October is looking good.

The surgeon thought the USB socket was silly. Mind you, I thought it was cool.

Roger

Oh dear. One step forward two steps back. Co-driver back in hospital this morning.
The pain in his leg came back with a vengence over the last two nights.
The Surgeon called him back in for another MRI (tomorrow) to see if they have missed something.

One good sign was that there appeared to be some movement in his left foot, so soemthing is working.

Roger

Today I found out from the surgeon, as he explained to Russell, that the MRI has revealed a small slither of disc that has migrated away
from the damage site and is causing the pressure on the nerve causing the pain.
So they have found the reason for the post op pain - this is good.

On monday they will open him up again to clean up the more obscur area.

Apparently when doing these ops they like to go in through a very small hole (not quite keyhole) this speeds up recovery and is usually successful.
Occassionally because the small hole does not give perfect sight of the damage area some scraps may be missed as in this instance.
The latest MRI has highlighted the debris so it is possible to go in again with the small hole knowing where the muck is.

Hopefully Monday afternoon should prove a success - please.

Roger

I know what he is going through as a I crushed a disc in my lower back which also broke it in two, it near paralysed me for 5 months until they sent me for an MRI scan, then they operated virtually immediately and within 4 months I was nearly back to normal, another month and I was totally repaired  ;)
I think your RBRR for 2014 will still be on  8)  

The co-driver had his second op today and the surgeon found a couple of pieces of debris once opened up.
They had a deeper look and found no more muck floating around.
Russ looked happy this evening but he is up to his eyes in anaesthetic so tomorrow should reveal the true state.

Hopefully home tomorrow.

Roger