How about a discussion on the best bits of the route?

What's the sections you like best? What about the stops - any you particularly like?

Any devious short-cuts you have used perhaps/ ??)

I'll put some suggestions up in due course but what about you? ??)

Damn right and how many TR7s (or derivatives) entered the RBRR last year...???  How many finished ???  ALL OF THEM !!! ;D

How many cars dropped out ???  2 I recall....  What were they ???  Heralds...  :o

Now taken in context, the herald and GT6 are on a very similar chassis so a claim that they were in fact the same car with a bigger engine is only the same as a TR7 FHC 2.0 and a TR8 DHC. So therefore, 2 GT6 derivatives didn't finish....  :P :P

Good argument I thought Mr Raider....  ;)

ANYWAY..... turning attention back to the subject... the best bit has to be the single track road in the highlands enroute to Altnaharra, that Keith (my co-driver) said "I know this road - hold on" and then harassed one of the 2000's all the way down it (sorry guys).  :o :o

Now look, I'm away for a couple of days now so won't be able to play!

Mr Nutter, I am sure you can keep Mr Reeks in check :P.

I certainly liked that bit of road too, although a person coming the other way wouldn't budge for me and I had to pull over, far too close to the loch for my liking. ::)

Enough of this TR7Morris Marina banter!

My fave bits are as follows:
1. Scotland: B871/A836:Syre, Altnaharra to Bonar Bridge. Especially good when Classic and Sportscar 2.5Pi Mk.1 (The Beast) chasing you.
2.Welsh/England border: A466: Monmouth to Chepstow. Good to chase Swiss dolly sprints thro'
3.England: A354/A30. Blandford Forum to A303 at Popham: Just great straight roads with loads of hidden dips. Unfortunately out of next years RBRR as we are going to Goodwood.

Cheers
Tim

Ahhh, another straight six owner that hasn't realised there are too many cylinders in his engine !!!  :P :P  (Mind you, at least you have a Dolly Sprint as well)

One note I would say about the most hated bits of the RBRR route...  Every piece of motorway I drove on, Keith tried to get some shut-eye. Unfortunately for him, the car seemed to like finding the cats eyes and kept waking him up. He got quite vindictive in the end and started doing it to me on purpose !!!  ::) :o ::)

??)HERALDS Now let me see howmany times has the WHITE TORNADO broke down :-/ on 2xRBRR 1x10CR and 2 European trips oh and not forgetting it also has a WOMAN DRIVER SCARY!!!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D NONE, ZILCH, NEVER, So why does everyone always ask us, WILL IT MAKE IT! 

That car park looks familiar! ;D

I think it's at the top of a fairly long steep hill. At the bottom of it my Vitesse lost alot of power due to a broken valve spring (surely not on a 6 pot engine!). As we had entered both of my cars the other 4 crew members pushed the car until I could get enough momentum to get it going again.

Of course. I couldn't stop until I got to the top of the hill! ;D

It was funny to see 3 of them come up to the top of the hill in the TR7 with one of them stood up between the seats and their head out of the sunroof! ;D ;D

We then sent the TR7 on it's way as this was the reliable car  :P and worked on the 6 cylinder Vitesse. We loosened the rocker arm and removed a plug, then found the electronic ignition had broken in the distributor cap and had to refit points etc. Of course the timing was out so we had to guesstimate the right setting ::)

We caught the TR7 up again at the Dartmoor Lodge and then drove the Vitesse back at no more than 3000 RPM to the Plough with the Vitesse riding shotgun behind. We got all the  way back to the finish but then on the way to our hotel at Luton the Vitesse finally died and we had to call out a recovery truck.

And some people say a TR7 is unreliable, if only you had a 6 cylinder Triumph ::)

Still, all part of the event and it hasn't put me off as you know - this time though it's solely the TR7. ;)

Yep that was it !!!  I just wanted to get a shot of the car with a completely empty back drop. We'd just bought some pasties and clotted cream from a little farm just off the road. The owner was so taken with the RBRR story she gave the stuff to me (I think I'd bored her enough into submission !!! :B) - Anyway, with the starter motor problems, I came out,  jumped in the car - nothing... >:( Parked in the farm car park pointing nose uphill.... What do you do...?? ??) Slam it in reverse and bump start it going backwards towards a hedge !!! :o  It worked anyway.  ;D 

Back to the best bits :o

From Corbridge up to Jedburgh on the A68 - that bit is just brilliant. I remember it particularly from 2002 as I was driving my TR7 with the sun - roof open and Quo on the CD player. "Honky Tonk Angel", "Down the dustpipe", "Rocking all over the world" etc are just great really loud!

I enjoyed this bit in 2000 as well in my Vitesse. In fact from there all the way to John O Groats was entertaining - I remember being asked if the car was really a 1600 and what mods we had done to the suspension when we reached the Seaview Hotel.

This is bringing it all back to me - roll on October! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

oh dear dear dear "mr whippy spotted sporting new speedos at local paty?!"

Anyway back to the best bits! definatley the run from inverness to JOG with the sun rise stunning,then the single track stuff from JOG to fort william,shame we have to go on the M6 at carlisle why dont you try Carlisle to Keswick then cut from Keswick to the M6  you get to drive past winlatter forest-of RAC fame
I will have a look at the maps its a great road if anyone wants to do it with me on this years RBR

[quote by=TR7Nutter link=Blah.pl?b=route,v=display,m=1070360957,s=3 date=1070372915]Damn right and how many TR7s (or derivatives) entered the RBRR last year...???  How many finished ???  ALL OF THEM !!! ;D

How many cars dropped out ???  2 I recall....  What were they ???  Heralds...  :o

Now taken in context, the herald and GT6 are on a very similar chassis so a claim that they were in fact the same car with a bigger engine is only the same as a TR7 FHC 2.0 and a TR8 DHC. So therefore, 2 GT6 derivatives didn't finish....  :P :P

Good argument I thought Mr Raider....  ;)
Nutter was that a pic from the 2000 RBR ? and was that a light blue 1973 2000 in front of you?

ANYWAY..... turning attention back to the subject... the best bit has to be the single track road in the highlands enroute to Altnaharra, that Keith (my co-driver) said "I know this road - hold on" and then harassed one of the 2000's all the way down it (sorry guys).  :o :o[/quote]

Archived