Quote:
try Carlisle to Keswick then cut from Keswick to the M6  you get to drive past winlatter forest-of RAC fame
I will have a look at the maps its a great road if anyone wants to do it with me on this years RBR

Andy, I might well be with you on that bit!  Mind you, I will want to stop at the fish and chip shop we found in Carlisle last time - I think it will become a tradition for the RBR as far as I am concerned. :)

There is a VERY good chippy in Keswick open till 1am! have a look at the map but from Carlisle head towards Keswick,windermere,Kendal, get back on the M6 at Junction 36

OR
Carlisle,Cockermouth (chippy there aswell),Cleator moor,Egremont (chippy, but dont stop there unless you want your car nicked and beaten up)Gosfoth (you are now out of the twylight zone and it  safe to speak to strangers) Holmrook ( I could arange a fuel stop here with a local gargage,and some workshop facilitys at an ex BL garage) Ravenglass,Wabberthwaite-we could stop here for home made bacon butties and chips ( cheers Mum!)
Then over Corney Fell head towards M6 It would be a great drive that time of night and wake you up after the slog out of Scotland ?!!! anybody up for it! ;D

Right thanks to the servers being down at work and my lack of will power today! Have been looking at route planners etc,I would be more than happy to lead a small group of more adventurous crews from Carlisle joining up with the M6 at Kendal
Plan A -Hard core!
Making sure we left Sterling by 7.30pm we should be at Carlisle @ 9.30 ish then-
Carlisle
Cockermouth
Cleator moor
Egremont
Holmrook-short break
Eskdale
Cockley beck
Clappersgate
Ambleside
Kendal M6 @ around midnight thus four hours to get to Bristol
This route would take you over some amazing and VERY steep (in short sections) single track roads,in darkness  so be prepared! dont go too fast as you will fall off! the smaller cars should make it I got an 850cc Mini Van over in 1st gear ok!

PLAN B -not so hard core
Carlisle
Cockermouth
Enerdale bridge
Calder Bridge
Holmrook
Corney fell road
Fox Field
Kendal M6
This route is quicker and not so steep up and down but still single tracks in places and the potentail to brake fade! it should get you back on the M6 around 11.15 ish Thus giving you time to head straight down to Bristol
The routes are fun but demanding have a look at a Map! I fancy taking a de-tour so if any one else wants to follow feel free!
The plan B can be made faster by cutting out the fell roads
Tim what do you think?!!!
hmmm thinking about it not sure if TR7s could do it!!!!! tee heee

Quote:
Tim what do you think?!!!
hmmm thinking about it not sure if TR7s could do it!!!!! tee heee

Ha ha, very funny :P :P

I am more bothered about the fact that it would mean missing out Oswestry to Bristol as I have enjoyed that part of the event too!  Last time not so much as I had spun the TR7 off the road at Oswestry and was a bit less gung ho as a result! :B

How about  Carlisle - Keswick - Ambleside - Windermere-Kendal-M6?

Or, to make sure can still do Oswestry but at least have some non - motorway driving how about Carlisle for fish and chips, then the A6 to Penrith, from there over Shap and rejoin the M6 at junction 38? ??)

Yep sounds good to me must admit the Welsh section is intresting,and on wider quicker roads,the Carlisle,Keswick,Ambleside,Windermere route would be slower than the M6 but alot more fun, and you should make all the other stops, but,like I said if people are intrested  I dont mind leading them on a diversion,but it would be at the expense of  Wales if we went for it big time!
I will definatley say I will do the Carlisle Keswick Ambleside Windermere blast and I think at least one other crew should do it to evaluate it as a "recomended interesting detour"

Right how about this-Garenteed to put a smile on your face and still let you make the Welsh section
A74 to Carlisle
A595 out of Carlisle
Thursby to Bothel (A595)
Bothel to Keswick (A591)
Keswick to Troutbeck (A66)
Trioutbeck to Ulswater (A5091)
Ulswater to Windermere (A592)
Windermere to M6 Junct 36

Ok Andy - you are on  ;D ;D

I should have a working sunroof that doesn't let water in by then and, with a bit of luck, an upgraded ventillated disc set up so I'll have decent brakes too! ;)

BTW - been working on the 10CR 2005 route today. ;)

Andy/Martin,

I like the idea of these roads through Cumbria, however I am concerned that there may not be time for them. As you know we have intergrated a new bit down in Sussex so as to go to Goodwood, I think that this will put an extra 45mins onto the route time. I think that the best way to consider for the Cumbria section is to let me have the route with some timings to see if we can intergrate the section. Remember that the route has always been designed to allow for the smaller engined cars.
Hope that I have not poured cold water on your ideas. Also remember that the route in the road book is only advisory and that only essential part is that crews get to the control points within the time parameters given. However surely one of the best aspects of the RBRR is the driving in company with other Triumphs.

Tim B

Yeah, we probably got a bit carried away Tim. ::)

We should have remembered that the RBRR is more structured than the 10CR when we can just throw it together really.

Still, we like a bit of a laugh so we will probably still give it a go depending on timing etc. ;)

Archived