Hmm.. bored and missing out on being involved.

With 105 cars starting, it should be fairly easy to compute a few interesting percentages from a rudimentary survey. So... when you all get back from having fun could you post here whats spares from within the boot you did use.

On Rallies I do carry a few spares but as Rarebits says there's not much point - particularly on the length of events I do.. carrying anything I can't change reasonably quickly at the side of the road.

Good Luck to you all and I hope that none of you have to spend too long fettling at the side of the road.

The only thing we had fail, on my MkI 2000, was the wire to the overdrive switch, but then that had crimped in-line connectors, which had probably weakened the wire when fitted. So two minutes at the next parking spot had a chocolate block fitted and we were off again.

I had a spare dizzy, complete rockershaft, fuel pump, various nuts and bolts and bits of wire just in case, but in the end none of those were needed.

Had a soldered connection/terminal onto the battery fail-lights relay. Had a very large spare, Nick Jones supplied something more suitable. Electrical connectors are a must! Suspect closely followed by alternators, especially the dubious ACR variety that seem to be supplied. Best use something more modern.
Clive

10lt water - used none
5lt oil - used maybe about a cup
2 5lt petrol cans - used a fair amount ;)
brake fluid - had to bleed my brakes at Bristol
points - not used
brake pads - not used
exhaust paste - not used
front wheel bearings - not used
battery booster - not used
loads of tools - used a 13mm spanner to get rid of an exhaust clamp
trolley jack - used to get to the exhaust
windscreen cleaner/rain-x stuff - not used (Dale did attack my window with cleaner at a petrol station though)

I think that's everything I took.

We took

• a set of core plugs and tools to fit - we used one
  • 2 spark plugs - we donated both to the Dove crew
  • spare bulbs and some wire - didn't need them but did swap them trying to fix a fault
  • Water - used it all and needed more, thanks to Craig Gingell we didn't have to pee in the radiator but we were close to doing it
  • Set of hoses - not used
  • Ignition set - not used
  • water pump - not used
  • gear oil - not used, my diff leak repair seems to have worked!
  • wiper blade refils - not used
  • couple of fule cans - we needed one once, no working fuel gauge or speedo or trip  :P

I think that was about it

Stuff we needed but didn't have and to be fair probably wouldn't carry next time
  • a grease gun with a flexible end

Stuff we needed, didn't have and might carry next time
  • grease
  • a wheel bearing

2 tested spare PI fuel pumps, 1 used. Original had only run a max of 2 hours during testing.
Rear drive shaft - pinched a stud and wheel nut off it when I broke one.
Front hub - unused. NSF kept getting a bit of play during testing.
Water - used a couple of pints, think there is a few leaks.
Oil - used 1/2 pint.
Brake fluid - unused
Grease - donated to the Atlast
gear oil - donated a bit to the 1300fwd
Lots of electrical connectors, wire, bulbs and relays - used none.
Water pump - unused. One on car had only done 100 miles of testing and was off an engine used for 20-odd years.
spare battery - powered the bling
UJ's - unused
Track rod end - unused
condensor / points / rotor arm / coil / plugs / pluglead / dizzy cap - unused
Rad cap - used as fuel filler cap.
tyreweld - unused
Metering unit drive thingy (it's red) - unused
fan belt - unused
Steering rack - unused. Car had appalling steering shimmy, to be used in emergency. Would not usually pack!!!!!

Should have packed the jump leads but forgot.

Cheers

Colin

Jason wrote:

Stuff we needed, didn't have and might carry next time
  • grease
  • a wheel bearing

We will only need those if you should happen to leave the handbrake on for several miles again! To be fair it was you who noticed the puddle of molten grease that oozed out as a result (after I had moved it to a safer lay-by).
Anyone know how to wire up a handbrake warning buzzer contraption?
The only warning I got was the terrible pong from the grease/brake shoe combination, and the sudden increase in noise as the n/s/r wheel bearing welded itself to the halfshaft!
Don't worry I have found a new Atlas halfshaft, and a hub in stock (yes I couldn't believe it either), just on the hunt for the oil seals now.
From now on I'm going to call you Jason Jonah Chinn, Triumph (and Standard) breaker extraordinaire, the list grows.

I've been at the maps and found where we ended up, where that accident was and where we stopped the first time. I can't seem to measure distances exactly on Google but it seems we only travelled about 2 miles from the accident site to where we first stopped and you diced with death on the side of the road. Then we went about a further 4 miles to where we finally stopped on the long drag up the A35 at a place called Gammons Hill just short of Axminister.

I didn't leave the handbrake on all the way, just enough to cook the only side it worked on :-( Sorry, I accept full responsibility - it's my job to take the blame.

Anyway, how are the battle scars you put on it? Note to self - if the wheels are off the road then that means my arse is off the road too - as a passenger (or driver come to think of it) you sit on top of a front wheel.

Atlas axles in stock - why not? You've got a new Atlas radiator in stock too!

Have you got through the disappointment yet? I'm just starting to look back on it fondly - I think I like the Atlas :-)

Here's Keith's start photo just to put a smile on your face.

Also used no spares at all, I did top up the oil and water a couple of times but that was it.
probably used about a litre or so of oil and 250ml of antifreeze/coolant mix.

From what i remember took the following spares, consumeables, tools in addition to my normal toolkit.

4.5 Litres Engine oil
5 litres water/antifreeze mix
screen wash
grease
hydraulic fluid
EP90
Instant Gasket
Super Glue
Grease gun
Trolley Jack
Axle Stands
Torque Wrench
Hub Puller
Ball Joint splitter
Multimeter
Gaffer Tape
Insulating Tape
Spare Bulbs
Crimp terminals
Wire
Fuses
Kit of standard points based parts in case of Pertronix Ignition failure
Vertical Links
Stub Axle
Front Wheel Bearing
Trunnion (only one side??)
Core Plugs
Coil
Fuel Pump
Plug leads (Nicked from Bodders car before we left!)
Plugs
Dizzy cap
Rotor Arm
Alternator (Nicked from Bodders car before we left!)
Heater Hoses
Throttle Cable
Fan Belt
Jump Leads
Tow Rope
Nuts and Bolts various
Self Tappers
Torches
Camping Lantern
Overalls
Swarfega
Baby Wipes
Rags
Kitchen Towell
Bog Roll
Electric Tyre Pump/Warning lantern
Warning Triangle
High Vis Vest
Workshop Manual
5L Fuel can filled with V-Max

I'm sure there's more, I've yet to unpack it all from the various boxes!

Took nowhere near as much as Cookie  ;D
Had an alternator, water pump, fuel pump, complete spare ignigion system (original left on when Megajolt installed). Accel cable, starter motor, wires, cable, tools, oil, coolant, EP90, washer fluid, top and bottom rad hoses, fuel pipe and heater hose.
Used nowt but half a litre of oil.

Mark

thescrapman wrote:

Cheers

Colin

I still have it Colin thanks. It's unused because by the time I pulled the axle shaft out of the affected side (the opposite side to that I had in my hand when you kindly stopped) the bearing needed something more than grease to revive it. I can get someone to send it on to you tomorrow, thanks for stopping again.

thescrapman wrote:

Cheers

Colin

I still have it Colin thanks. It's unused because by the time I pulled the axle shaft out of the affected side (the opposite side to that I had in my hand when you kindly stopped) the bearing needed something more than grease to revive it. I can get someone to send it on to you tomorrow, thanks for stopping again.

We took every think we could think of ;) though we didn't use any of the spares, except the new water pump sold to McJim at tesco's ;D(Penzance) Though we had with us, A jump pack, oil, water, tools, warning triangle, first aid kit, high vis jackets, overalls, trolley jack, one axel stand, plugs, points, cap, rotor arm, spare cap with leads, radweld, a water pump, wire, good old gaffa tape, a can of petrol, old rags, plastic gloves, metering unit(new). Colin gave us spare PI pumps which where never used think Colin was lightening his car ;) Car didn't miss a beat 1974 miles and £450 worth of fuel, which also got us home :)

Took alternator, EFI fuel pump, spare ECU, spare EDIS, belts, hoses assorted nuts and bolts, crimp connectors, wire, fuses, relays, gaffer tape, bulbs, water, oil and spark plugs.

Changed the plugs for experimental reasons.  Nothing else used except a litre of oil.

Also had warning triangle, reflective jackets, overalls (got soaked due to water leak),  5 gal jerry can of unleaded (came in handy for others! ;D) and a big fire extinguisher.

Nick

PS we shipped a little water along the way.........

Spitfire4 wrote:

what about my jack and blocks?

Craig - you haven't mentioned the stuff we needed but didn't have :

2nd 250 V Inverter
Batteries for your camera controller
Laptop battery
32 GB memory card

Funny how we needed no car spares but lack of the above items meant we were nearly an hour late at each stop!  ;D

Slimboyfat wrote:

DAve

Put it on the shelf in a box labled "to be packed - RBRR 2010"

Perhaps it can be donated again.

Cheers

Colin

Archived